• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8.0.1 appears to trash boot config

hahaha

I just ran up2date and now my file system is in read-only mode.
Nice.

failed to make symlink /etc/rc2.d/S64mysqld: File exists
failed to make symlink /etc/rc3.d/S64mysqld: File exists
failed to make symlink /etc/rc4.d/S64mysqld: File exists
failed to make symlink /etc/rc5.d/S64mysqld: File exists
touch: cannot touch `/var/log/mysqld.log': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `/var/log/mysqld.log': Read-only file system
chmod: changing permissions of `/var/lib/mysql': Read-only file system

I'm about done with RedHat I think. I had no issues with Debian last week on my test system.

I had this happen to me on my brand new server, as soon as I restarted "boom".... only to need a full system restore.

Now the system is back online so what would be the correct syntax for the line:

/dev/sda5 / / ext3,usrquota defaults 1

Thank You
Nuno Souto

Thank You...

I'm trying that now...

Seems to be working, I'll reboot and see what happens. Wish me Luck...

Nuno Souto

Yeah, let me know how it goes. I'd love to be able to get access to my system to re-mount that filesystem and amend my fstab file.

Sam

Just an FYI, I do not think this affects FBSD users at all. I've done a couple of installs with 8 as well as upgrades on FBSD 5.x and 6.x and all went well. Must be linux distros only.

Well ev1servers finally managed to get my filesystem back as r/w so everything is working for me now, for the moment.

I tried a bunch of stuff to make Plesk amend the fstab file, but to no avail. I'll just have to check the file after i've made control panel changes, to make sure it is still ok.

Sam

Originally posted by DataHive
Yeah, let me know how it goes. I'd love to be able to get access to my system to re-mount that filesystem and amend my fstab file.

Sam,

I was able to solve this same problem by booting off the RHEL CD #1 into rescue mode. From there I could mount the filesystem, correct the fstab file, save it, and reboot. Everything was happy once I did that.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Originally posted by lsu_bac
I was able to solve this same problem by booting off the RHEL CD #1 into rescue mode. From there I could mount the filesystem, correct the fstab file, save it, and reboot. Everything was happy once I did that.

This is a lot more difficult when you're running a remote server, thousands of miles away.

Sam

Hello,

I tested the new line, as I said in a previous post, and it worked fine, It took me a while to reboot, but... I finally managed to do it.

And it's working ok..

Thanks all for the help..

Nuno Souto

Got mine fixed as well. Here is what it has to be on RedHat Linux Enterprise.

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1

If anyone else encounters this and wants to save themselves a support call here's how to rescue yourselves:

Issue the command:

mount -n -o remount,rw /path

edit /etc/fstab manually correcting the errors that plesk caused.

reboot.

This is sw-soft we're talking about. They don't have bugs. They have well-developed "features".
I spent a week arguing with them about a problem that psa-spamassassin was causing. Went so far as to send them 10mb of email logs showing it crashing, and what was causing it.
Their response was that the code was perfect, and that my server suddenly required 2gb of memory to fix the non-existant problem.
No bugs... just features.

Originally posted by LordOfLA
If anyone else encounters this and wants to save themselves a support call here's how to rescue yourselves:

Issue the command:

mount -n -o remount,rw /path

edit /etc/fstab manually correcting the errors that plesk caused.

reboot.

Thank you, this worked well.

I hope someone takes note and fixes the problem for good.

I have the same issue on a fresh install of FC4 and Plesk 8.0.1, after trying for 3 hours to unsuccessfully to recover an unmountable filesystem, (I know, linux rescue, mount, etc... I just couldn't get the second partition to mount correctly to ever get to /etc/fstab to edit it) So... I re-installed FC4 and Plesk, losing 2 days setup work. Nice.

However, even with a clean, text based install of FC4 and Plesk and only minimal setup done in Plesk, the system is complaining that fstab, line 2 is corrupt.after rebooting., Thankfully, the server is loading the filesystem, but making me wonder if this was the condition it was in for two days prior to the first corruption. (Note: The server is a Poweredge 2650 with a RAID 5 scsi array)

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / / ext3,usrquota defaults 1

Now, fstab-sync's warning leads me to believe that I shouldn't edit fstab directly at this point, and even if I do, will it 'stick'?

I've written Plesk support, and I am combing the fstab-sync forums for an answer. I've been using Plesk for 3 years now (6,7,7.5 and now 8) and cPanel before that so I'm pretty experienced with the software. This is particularly frustrating as I am setting up my own server to eliminate my data center costs and I'm being held up migrating because of this well-known but unresolved issue.

Myne was the same.

Use this:

mount -n -o remount,rw / /

then edit fstab with

vi /etc/fstab

change the line to:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3,usrquota defaults 1 1

Then save and reboot

What the 8.0.1 installer seems to be doing on linux is it removes the mountpoint for the filesystem where the home directories are going to be and then adds ",usrquota" to the next value in the file, which in this case is the filesystem type and finally it removes the last value on the line, the sixth field which tells fsck which order to check the filesystems during boot.

I think what it means to do is just add ,usrquota to the mount options for the filesystem where the site directories go but they screwed up their pattern replacement. Some are affected worse than others based on how their systems are partitioned. For example, those of us who have a seperate /boot and root tend to come up fine with only some programs failing while those with just a root slice and nothing else get read only or a non-booting system based on hardware configuration, i.e. some LVM configurations and certain specialized hardware configs likely won't come up.

Back