• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

plesk backup restore

P

phatPhrog

Okay. here we are.

Yesterday I had a Plesk 7.5.4/FC2 box with psabackup/psarestore in place.

I ran a backup of client sites for restoration to a Plesk 8.0/FC4 box and am getting the following error on pleskrestore
The document has the wrong type, root node is <psa>, but <migration-dump> was expected
I used:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --create-map dump2_20060405.svr -map dump2
to create the necessary files and a restore directory was created with various files within, all pretty much saying the same thing as the message above.

This is a test server, thankfully, so does this mean we are not going to be able to use psabackup to backup our production server and pleskrestore to restore to PSA8?

Other than that everything else "seems" to working great. Haven't had time for a full burn-in, but everything looks pretty good so far.

Big Thanks

From what I ahve read, backups generated with the 7.5.4 are not usable by the 8.0.0 tools, and vice versa.
Non-reverse-compatible. It would have been a nice thing to code into them, of course, but they were too big on adding new **** and forgot about simply making the existing **** work better. ;)
Basically, the backups that you generated with 7.5.4 will only work with pre-8.0.0 Plesk.
I'm wondering if they are working on a set of conversion tools, or working it into the current backup/restore tools, or are simply assuming that all the customers are going to purge current backup files and toss them. This is a hint for PSA, by the way...

Nothing like an upgrade

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Well, I gotta say that is the most absurd thing ever.

How in hell do they expect long standing Plesk users to want to move to Plesk 8 with production servers if the bundled backup/restores utilities will not allow for restoration.

Perhaps SW-Soft should put out disclaimers before peoples livelihoods are destroyed!

Sorry to sound to rude, but that is just wrong!

If this had been my production server, I'd be seeking legal counsel. :rolleyes:

Okay then, how about this?

Since I have P8 on a test server, if I migrate my production server clients/domains, am I going to have viable data when I migrate it back to the newly upgrade production server running P8?

Great as that sounds, it isn't true.

The backups we made with psabackup are not compatible with pleskrestore.

Originally posted by phatPhrog
Great as that sounds, it isn't true.

The backups we made with psabackup are not compatible with pleskrestore.

Same problem here. I can't restore the backupfiles create whit psabackp in version 7.5.4

Is there already an solution for this problem, other wise I don't purchease plesk 8 (no body will care about that :rolleyes: )...

Originally posted by jovana
Same problem here. I can't restore the backupfiles create whit psabackp in version 7.5.4

Is there already an solution for this problem, other wise I don't purchease plesk 8 (no body will care about that :rolleyes: )...

I tried to stopped using plesk long ago. Me and plesk software just don't get along. I still had some customers that didn't want to bother transfering to Cpanel, so I kept two servers around for them.

Backups Are Important:

1. Often, I cannot restore backups on plesk that was created with plesk. They nearly always fail. Just doesn't make any since. Backups are used when something major has already gone wrong. It is important that backups work.

2. Backups are stored in some weird format. I can't simply tar -zxf them to manual get the files of a site like I can with Cpanel.

3. I can't restore backups on plesk that were created with a previous plesk version even through their site said I could. See 3 posts above. This caused much trouble when a hard drive failed and I had the data center install the latest version of plesk when restoring since they were going to let me use their license for free. Well, I found out you couldn't restore the backups I created with a previous version of plesk on the new plesk. This is just Stupid. Even worse, the backups was stored in a crazy format so I just couldn't get the files for the sites and manually restore them. Stupid.

Transfering sites from one server to another:

4. Just search the forum. It doesn't work correctly. The problems I have had trying to transferring sites using that stupid Migration Manager is enough to want me... I'll just stop there. It fails and just doesn't work or will leave stuff out like e-mail accounts, or mysql databases, or web users.

Don't Like Fixing Plesk's Bugs:

5. Every time I upgrade (minor upgrades x.1, x.2), something major breaks like e-mail, apache, mysql, webmail and then I have to spend hours I don't have searching this forum on a fix.

It Costs More:

6. It's not cheaper than Cpanel. I though it was, but a couple of years ago I did some figuring and found out that if you buy you own license and keep the software at the latest version, it costs more than Cpanel at $20/month due to all of the major updates which forces you to buy another really expensive license.

If you haven't already, try Cpanel.

I have NEVER had any problems restoring sites from Cpanel Backups. I've restores many servers with hundreds of sites without any problems. Also the backup files are kept in a popular readable format (.tar.gz).

Transferring sites from one server to another server is a breeze. I've done hundreds probably close to about a thousand now and nobody has ever even noticed. Great for OS/hardware upgrades.

Now Plesk works for some people and they love it which is great. Maybe there is just some people, like me, that can't figure it out.

Anyone who have seen this error:
PHP:
2006-07-17 14:13:34,296 INFO Packet succesfully validated.
2006-07-17 14:13:34,297 INFO Outgoing packet:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><action-response action-internal-name="FinishedState">
    <finished status="error">
        <message code="ExternalDtdValidationFailed">
            <context>void plesk::tDtdValidator::validateXml(plesk::tXmlDocument&amp;, const cstring&amp;)</context>
            <file>./xml_parse.cpp</file>
            <line>329</line>
            <text>Failed validation of the document with external DTD /usr/local/psa/PMM/plesk.dtd. The errors are: Element key does not carry attribute cid.</text>
        </message>
    </finished>
</action-response>

Can't figure how to fix that. Tries a restore on a testserver running plesk-8.0.1

I'm using this command:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore backup_file -level all -map mapfile -verbose

I've run into the same problem and have been researching a solution. I am running Plesk 7.5.4 and I want to create backups that are restorable in Plesk 8.0 for a planned upgrade. Annoying it doesn't work out of the box, yes, but I believe there are ways around this. Here are some options I have come across......

1) Use the Plesk 8.0 perl backup script, available here: ftp://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.0/Extensions/bu/
the html provides instructions and the tar file is the backup utility (Note: the instructions list the wrong address for the tar file). If you have a machine running Plesk 7.5.4, copy this backup utility onto it. You do NOT need Plesk 8.0 installed to run it. It will create a backup of your 7.5.4 data that is restorable in Plesk 8.0.

2) Upgrade your 7.5.4 version to 8.0 and then run a backup. There are Plesk 8.0 upgrades availble for download on the plesk site

I believe the swsoft server is setup for FTP access but it may work over HTTP as well. The files can be found at the following addresses, feel free to try both protocols to see what works. In other words, prepend the below addresses with either "http://" or "ftp://" in a browser and attempt to view/download. Hopefully by posting them like this they won't be corrupted again.

Tar of Perl Backup Utility
download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.0/Extensions/bu/backup-agent-8.0.1.tar

Instructions for use (NOTE: the instructions list the wrong address to download the backup utility, use the address above)
download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.0/Extensions/bu/backup-agent-8.0.1.html

Back