• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk backup to FTP and disk space issues

M

mrwolf

Hello,
I have a strange Plesk backup behaviour, and I hope this is not by design.

Plesk 10.3 running on Ubuntu, all installed within a single volume of 50Gb.
The space occupied is about 30Gb. /var/www/vhosts is about 20Gb.

When I set up a Plesk backup with a remote FTP as destination and multivolume splitting at 2Gb, it seems that plesk are backing everything up on the local hard drive, then move to the ftp server at the end of the job only.
This means that you have to have an huge amount of free space on the hard drive to make backup succeed, and this is really not fair.

In my case, disk is filled up by (I suppose) temp files during the backup, and the free space goes almost to zero, making backup fail and hanging the server until I delete some files.

See attached image to better understand the disk utilization during a full backup process with FTP destination. This job succeeded because the space was enough, but it went very close to the maximum as you can see.

Is this behaviour by design? I hardly can understand this, as you'd need to keep the hard disk utilization always under 50%, and this is just space wasted.

Waiting for your comment on the matter.

Attachments

• pleskbackupspace.png
    pleskbackupspace.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 13
I'm also having problems with backup when doing a remote copy.

Plesk needs up to 24GB while the resultant backup file it's only about 11GB.

My system is CentOS x86 with Plesk 10.3.0 last MU.

Attachments

• hd.png
    hd.png
    18 KB · Views: 8
Back