• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Backup to FTP AND Local Server

Florian_M

New Pleskian
i want to backup my plesk 11 ubuntu 12.04 server to both ftp and local storage.

At the Moment, my local Storage is organized by Plesk (via Backup GUI). The Problem is that i have to choose between local OR FTP Storage and can't figure out how to send the backup to both (local + ftp).

At the moment, i've realized it in this way:
- Via GUI i've chosen "save to server repository"
- I've created a command line Script which get's executed at night via Cron:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --server --output-file=ftp://xy.xyz.xz/`date '+%Y-%m-%d'`/backup.tar.gz \
--ftp-login='[email protected]' --ftp-password='myPassword' --description=FTPBackup \
-s 2G

The Problem: Plesk now generates 2 Backups at night which is really CPU intensive. Also, I have to store both backups on my local server for short time (after generating the backup, it's moved to ftp i think?), so i'm soon reaching my hdd capacity at night.

My Question:
Is there any way to send ONE Backup to Both FTP + Server Repository? Is this possible via GUI / Command line? I don't want to create 2 Backups at night because it slows down my server...

Thanks for any suggestions!

It is better rewrite your script which will copy all content from $DUMP_DIR to ftp.
And use rsync instead of ftp as secure method of transfering data (SSH). And it is faster bacause it copies only changed files. Or you can use lftp to syncronize local dir with remote ftp dir.

And I must say that Plesk backup better to use in case if you need to restore some part of information, like server configuration or client's domain, a couple of reseller's subscription, etc...

The ideal way to make server's backup is to place Plesk inside virtual container or virtual machie and make every day backup of whole VM (CT). In this case you can significantly faster to restore server if something was wrong with HDD or else...

It is not advised to rely solely on Plesk backup if you do not backup of whole system.

Back