• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk backup very slow

SauliusZ

Basic Pleskian
We have a problem with a Plesk backup. We have about 300 domains, the scheduled task starts 23.30 and takes about 16 hours and thats not normal. Before it took about 9-10 hours for 'All configuration and content' and that was too long, so we set up for 'All configuration and content except mail'. It helped for a few days and then it started to take 14 - 16 hours for a server backup.
Does anyone had this problem?
We use Plesk 11.5 on CentOS 6 64bit.

Hello,

Backup process time is depend on your data size and disk IO stat, Sometime due to disk IO backup process is taking lot of time and if you have setup FTP backup than you will have to check the network speed of your backup server because due to low network speed backup file will take time to upload on your backup server

With this high data transfer, usually the best backup is RSYNC backup, not full one. We use BackupPC but there is a lot of others on the market.

Well yes, backup time depends on data size and disk IO stat, but it is strange if speed would only depend on that. As I said before we turned off mail backup, so data size decreased. Of course there was added new websites and that could be like 5%-10% increase. Could it be that in overall data size increase of 4-8% would increase backup time by 50-60%?
Recently we changed some MySQL configuration to increase its performance. It seems that MySQL has to do something with backup speed, because now the backup time takes about 12 hours.
Another notice is that to delete last backup takes about 1.5 hours in backup process (that would be ~72GB zipped). This is also too long.

Thank you, lvalics, I would look at RSYNC and BackupPC.

The backup of PLESK has not too much to do with the data size, etc. As I saw, actually they are using a lot of Linux commands in a script, organized, so most of the job is done by your Linux, not by backup script. Large data is normal to be slow, also deleting large files can be time consuming and also can increase the load of the server.
This is why in this situations rsync is much more better or incremental backups.

Back