• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk behind NAT (DNS problems)

M

mlnospam

Hello,

All our internet servers are actually located on a private IP range behind a firewall doing NAT. So this is also the case for our newly installed Plesk 8.2 server. The problem is that Plesk uses it's interal private IP address for creating DNS zones :(

So actually I was wondering if using Plesk/Expand behind NAT on a private IP range is a bad practice ? And if not how can I cope with the DNS issue ?

I couldn't find any kind of "plesk behind NAT howto"...

Many thanks
Regards

Take a look at the swsoft knowlegebase article:
http://kb.swsoft.com/en/1984
Generally there is no any howto as Plesk does not have (yet) any mechanism to automatically configure the servers behind NAT. You should change everything manually.

Thanks Monica for your answer. I have now changed my DNS zone template to use the external IP address instead of just <ip> and so far it works. The only problem which I can't resolve right now is that the secondary DNS server (slave) for that zone get's configured with a private IP address for it's master, so it cannot synch.

Here is the entry in /var/named/run-root/var/named/slave_zones on our secondary DNS server:

zone "mydomain.tld" {
type slave;
file "slaves/mydomain.tld";
masters {
192.168.100.96;
};
};

Do I also have to manually change this or is there a automatic way ?

Btw we use centralized DNS servers with Plesk Expand.

Thanks

Back