• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue plesk bin repair fs not as effective as expected

websavers

Regular Pleskian
Hey there,

Coincidentally we had two different servers wherein a command was accidentally run to recursively change the ownership of the entire /var directory to all the same value. In one case it was the plesk user and in another it was popuser: popuser.

We had hoped to be able to run `plesk bin repair fs`, and have Plesk repair everything for us. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. This utility does the absolute bare minimum to bring websites back online, but then you're left dealing with a bunch of other issues later on, such as database deletion issues, mail not being delivered, and clients who are unable to delete their own files.

As far as we can tell, the existing Plesk repair, does just the folders leading up to and including those containing client data, but not the client data itself. Here are some areas that need to still be fixed after such a repair:

1. Everything within the web root itself. This command *should* chown -R pleskuser: psacln /var/www/vhosts/[...path to each web root... ]/* and chmod as necessary too. But it doesn't.

2. When using postfix it *should* repair all queue paths like /var/spool/postfix/deferred to ensure messages can be delivered / pass through the right queues. It could do (at least some of) this by running a command like `/usr/sbin/postfix set-permissions` but it doesn't seem to do this.

3. It should fix /var/lib/mysql by setting ownership appropriately, but it does not, meaning when someone goes to remove a database later, it fails, saying:

Internal error: Error dropping database (can't rmdir './lpp_m2', errno: 39)

Message Error dropping database (can't rmdir './lpp_m2', errno: 39)
File DatabaseManagerMySQL.php
Line 610
Type PleskUserDBException

Here's hoping for an improved repair utility in the future.

-Jordan

Hey Igor,

I have not... that's kinda the question now isn't it -- feature request or bug?

I think it's a fair assumption to make that this tool will repair *all* functions necessary for Plesk systems to work normally. That *should* thusly mean it

- repairs all of the Postfix queues permissions successfully.
- repairs permissions for all databases so there are no Plesk issues that remain

These would *not* be a feature request, but rather a bug fix, if you ask me.

That said, I can see how you might consider setting permissions for the webroot (often httpdocs) to be considered a feature request.