• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk built-in FTP-server configuration

B

BS1234

hi all,

I'm new to Plesk so my question is hopefully very easy to answer.

I just installed Plesk 11.0.9 Update #8 on a CentOS Linux Server and found a new FTP-server running and listening on port 21. I wanted to deactivate it or at least change the port number to anything else. But in the config file /etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa there is a comment:

#DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY,
#SO ALL YOUR CHANGES WILL BE LOST AFTER YOU UPGRADE PARALLELS PLESK PANEL.

So I can't deactivate the FTP-server with the line "disable = yes" because the default file is restored after a while (I can't pinpoint the event when it happened). In the Plesk frontend I can't see any possibility to deactivate the server or change the port.

In the file above, there is mentioned another config file
"server_args = -c /etc/proftpd.conf" but changes in that file are ignored for whatever reason. There I changed the port number but without success. It's still listening on 21 even if the file says otherwise.

Can you help me here?

Thanks in advance.

-BS1234

Edit /etc/proftpd.conf and change the port from 21 to another port
also edit file /etc/services and make following changes

# 21 is registered to ftp, but also used by fsp
ftp XXX/tcp
ftp XXX/udp fsp fspd

Where XXX is new ftp port.

BS1234, to addon onto Igor's either through the plesk firewall module or if you are running your own other firewall module, ensure in it to BLOCK port 21. For Plesk its easy, just go to extensions -> click on firewall -> then click the button of FTP to disable FTP.

Lastly, don't forget to run

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

To activate the new firewall port ...

thank you very much for your answers.

it works now - i didn't change the /etc/services before.. :)

but still, how long will the changes be effective before plesk will change /etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa back to default ? or how can i prevent plesk from doing that?

I don't think plesk changing /etc/xinetd.d/ftp_psa would affect your settings ...

Edit /etc/proftpd.conf and change the port from 21 to another port
also edit file /etc/services and make following changes

# 21 is registered to ftp, but also used by fsp
ftp XXX/tcp
ftp XXX/udp fsp fspd

Where XXX is new ftp port.

I just noticed that after these settings, you might not be able to run backups to an FTP Repository.

I just noticed that after these settings, you might not be able to run backups to an FTP Repository.

Hey guys,

I can confirm that IgorG's method works regarding changing the ports. Just make sure your FTP personal repo has IPADDRESS: PORT (Without the space between the semicolon and port) and that your backup location matches on your server httpdocs/FOLDERNAME or even httpdocs (which I wouldnt recommend for organizational purposes) Just make sure your folder already exists on the server that you are backing up to. I am on Plesk 12 btw

:D

Back