• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk certificate expiring

A

abo0

I received the following email from the system. What should I exactly do to renew the certificate?
I've already created a self-signed certificate and assigned it as the default one for all the IPs on the system.

Subject: The certificate for plesk will expire tomorrow

################# SSL Certificate Warning ################

Certificate for plesk, in '/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.pem':

The certificate needs to be renewed; this can be done
using the 'genkey' program supplied with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.

Browsers will not be able to correctly connect to this
web site using SSL until the certificate is renewed.

##########################################################
Generated by certwatch(8)

did the creation of the self signed default cert work??

Please advise,
poke

Yes the creation of the self signed certificate worked fine. When I access any IP on the server by https it shows the new self signed certificate. Before the creation of the self signed certificate I was receiving also another warning with the following:
Certificate for plesk, in '/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certXkgyCjP'
After the creation of the new certificate I'm receiving only the warning reported in my first post.

Thank you.

try editing the certXkgyCjp and putting in the RSA and cert.

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
blah
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
blah
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

I'm not sure about the Redhat genkey prog.......

-poke

I might be totally off, but did you put this in when you created the self signed cert?

Bits 2048
Country United States
State or province Virginia
Location (City) Herndon
Organization name (company) SWsoft, Inc.
Organization department/division name Plesk
Domain name plesk
E-mail [email protected]

just checking.....

-poke

Originally posted by poke
try editing the certXkgyCjp and putting in the RSA and cert.

It isn't complaining about certXkgyCjp, the problem is in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.pem

Do you think I could copy the self signed certificate I created there or could I also create a symbolic link?

You could try :)

I'm really not sure how plesk works with the 'default cert' The cert might need to match the variables in my post.

I too would like to know how this works, to anyone out there!

-poke

has anyone figured out the solution to this one yet? I am starting to get these warnings too, fortunately I have 28 days before mine expires, but it would be nice to know the answer beforehand.

cheers!
Luke

I'm getting the same email, and I don't know what to do with this, please help, thanks:

################# SSL Certificate Warning ################

Certificate for plesk, in '/usr/local/psa/var/certificates/certXFpIqFm':

The certificate needs to be renewed; this can be done
using the 'genkey' program supplied with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.

Browsers will not be able to correctly connect to this
web site using SSL until the certificate is renewed.

##########################################################
Generated by certwatch(8)

i have tried using genkey with the above recommended settings and have tried generating a new self signed certificate within the plesk control panel (and have rebooted after doing both of these), but I am still getting these email warnings.

Has anyone figured this one out?

anyone?

I will soon be expiriencing this problem as well.

-poke
PSA 7.5.2
SB 1.1.1
ES 3

bumping in hopes that someone has a solution to this as my time is running out.

I know these forums are not official support, but it would be nice if some plesk support people would get on here and answer some questions, especially ones like this one which involves licensing.

I am quite diappointed with their absence from this forum.

According to my studies, lack of communication with the clients will hinder growth. They have lost business significantly to CPanel and it is obvious that the trand will continue base on my observation of Plesk.

I can see the similarity to OS/2 and Windows. Now I miss the OS/2 so much and remember how good it was, but it is totally swallowed by Windows, and became history.

Warning, this is a prophetic voice! :D

Sam

Originally posted by Rocky
They have lost business significantly to CPanel and it is obvious that the trand will continue base on my observation of Plesk.

I don't know the statistics, but I'd estimate that Plesk's growing much quicker than CPanel currently - sure Plesk loses customers to cpanel every day, but I'd say there's more coming back the other way.

Regarding the certificate problems ... if the certificate expires it'll show warnings in browsers, but even whilst it's not expired it'll still show warnings (just not mention that it's expired yet) as it won't match the URL's being accessed via the certificate.

The simplest way to fix this is to create a new certificate in Plesk and set it as default, then delete the old one.

I don't know the statistics, but I'd estimate that Plesk's growing much quicker than CPanel currently - sure Plesk loses customers to cpanel every day, but I'd say there's more coming back the other way.

You are right. I am one of them and I felt I wanted something better than CPanel. But I ran into a lot of problems since I bought this box with Plesk, the information for fixing is not readily accessible, and the absence of their people here is telling me to go back to CPanel. I am stuck here only because I have already paid for it and still bear a little hope that things would be better. And I remember the hope I had with OS/2, it was a better OS than Windows and I really believed that things would soon be better, better,... disppeared. Well it might not happen to Plesk, but their business stretegy is definitely lacking something fatelly important.

Sorry for digressing from the topic. I won't say more. If I have more to say, it will be time to say goodbye to Plesk....:mad:

As for the certificate, I can't even log in to sign a new one. I have submitted a support ticket and now it's almost 24 hours. I got email notification from the server that three guys from Plesk, tracing back to Russia, had logged in as root. I sent out an email to asked about the progress, another guy replied to me saying that he couldn't access my server. Duh? Are they communicating among themselves? Well, let's start over, I sent in the access information again. And I am waiting...

I think the biggest thing halting their growth is sales, they need more staff. Support is usually very good in my experience. These forums are a great community resource, and don't need staff IMHO. I'd rather staff focused themselves on responding to paid tickets ... most people visiting here are using resold licenses so their providers should support them, others can easily pay another $299 for a years support if they're running a commercial/important system, or if not so important just rely on community support. If support staff are on here as well as the ticket system it's going to slow ticket responses which are usually a last cry for help from people, i.e. higher priority and not every question everyone wants to ask.

</rant over, just my opinion> :p

Is your problem logging into Plesk, or SSH? You say support said they can't access your server - that sounds like a SSH problem, maybe you're blocking them by a firewall? It's probably a misunderstanding if they've logged in from Russia (where support/R&D is based).

Is your only problem accessing Plesk? If so, and you're sure it's SSL related, have you tried another browser? IE is a pain in the *** in my experience at blocking access for no apparant reason - firefox seems to always work.

If I'm not catching you explain the problem again in full pls.

Great, as I was about to reply to this forum, I got this email from support.

I think that in this case PSA should be reinstalled from RPMs and from very beginning. Unfortunately this sort of work is not covered by standard support package and requires additional fee, if you want us to perform Plesk restoration.

Good grief!

Do you have clients on the server? What exactly is the problem? Depending on the problem, there's a number of people on this forum will be able to either point you in the right direction or fix this for you (unless the server is in a complete mess and does actually require a reinstallation).

Back