• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Firewall Issue after updating to Ubuntu 20.04.01

MrGRIMX

New Pleskian
Hey Guys,

So DO (Digital Ocean) has allowed me to upgrade my image from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and the migration and upgrade was successful and did not experience any issues so far except 2 but 1 was resolved but the other is not. The first issue was with Plesk database however i manage to resolve that after the upgrade but the second issue is with Plesk Firewall. Everytime i try to access the firewall settings in plesk it redirects me back to the extension panel and gives me an error " Error: The Firewall module requires Iptables to be installed. Please install the Iptables package from your OS vendor." so i tried the basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Removed & Reinstalled "Plesk Firewall" in the additional components section of updates. Did not Work.
2. Removed previous installation of Plesk Firewall and removed & reinstalled using ssh by the "sudo apt remove iptables", Did Not Work.

So am kinda stumped does Plesk Firewall not support Ubuntu 20.04 yet or am i missing something obvious since i tried the basics and it didn't work. I do have a cloud firewall setup but i want to be extra safe and add plesk firewall just in case i can use UFW but i want something a bit easier and not too tedious but its not a problem if i have to enable it.

Product: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.30 Update 1

Update: Opps! Sorry guys posted this on the wrong thread. This thread is supposed to be posted in Plesk Obsidian for Linux.

Last edited:
Im having the same issues after I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 yesterday and today I noticed same issue. I did your same steps and nothing, I removed and reinstall and nothing. Might be better to just use a different firewall from the extension directory, try this, it might work on your end..

sudo apt-get remove iptables

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install iptables

Yeah. I Tried those commands in the 2nd step when i installed iptables by itself and then i went back into the additional components in plex and enable the firewall and vice versa still the error remains UFW it is in the meantime until the issue is resolved.

Since it has been days since no has responded to this specific thread and issue i have decided to revert the upgrade back from 20.04 back to 18.04 until the issue is resolved internally by plesk or other another solution can be implemented as a workaround. In the meantime i will mark this issue as resolved.

Last edited:
Experiencing the same issue here. I see this one is flagged as resolved but I do not see the solution.
Error: The Firewall module requires Iptables to be installed. Please install the Iptables package from your OS vendor.
Tried reinstalling iptables without success

Experiencing the same issue here. I see this one is flagged as resolved but I do not see the solution.
Error: The Firewall module requires Iptables to be installed. Please install the Iptables package from your OS vendor.
Tried reinstalling iptables without success
Yeah I still have the same issue there are 2 solutions but they are workarounds until plesk issues an update for this.
  • Revert back to Ubuntu 18.04.
  • Install UFW or any other Firewall from the Plesk extensions.
Those are just workarounds though you can simply wait until they release an update. I'll update my thread to include these workarounds.

Yeah I still have the same issue there are 2 solutions but they are workarounds until plesk issues an update for this.
  • Revert back to Ubuntu 18.04.
  • Install UFW or any other Firewall from the Plesk extensions.
Those are just workarounds though you can simply wait until they release an update. I'll update my thread to include these workarounds.
any news on this - i updated to new ubuntu as well and this is the exact out + AXFR is not working anymore either

Haven't heard anything yet i upgraded it again a couple of days ago to test if the problem was still happening and it still is. I decided I won't upgrade until Ubuntu 18.04 end of life until all major issues are resolved.

Hi! I have the same problem, running Ubuntu 20.04 and the latest Plesk 18.0.31. Can anyone provide a solution?

For clarity, are ALL of these current occurances on Dist Upgrades of Ubuntu behind an existing Plesk Obsidian e.g. 18.04 > 20.04 or, are there any that have occured on a new server / fresh install / new Plesk Obsidian install?

It's an upgrade from 18.04 for my side.
Guessing that most are, despite this not yet being supported by Plesk, hence then being tricky to resolve directly with them. This older post explains more.
We'll be looking at what arrives with Obsidian 18.0.32 and if it's nothing suitable / far from ideal, we'll be going for the new server/fresh installs/migrate option.

Back