• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

plesk for email only?

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
I can't seem to find any info on this so thought I'd post and ask.

I've been a customer for many years, paying for SUS until about a year ago when I started thinking it no longer made sense.
The main reason being that I never use anything other than the SMTP services on the server so it made no sense to keep paying and to look for an open source solution. The second reason was because the spam control on plesk alone is nil, you have to buy a third party addon which are all very costly.

So the question is, does anyone know if there is an alternative to plesk, perhaps a smaller version which offers only email because that's all I need.

Thanks kindly.

There is no need to use a costly commercial anti-spam option if you don't want -- If you use redhat/centos, you can use clamav, spamassassin and qmail-scanner and bob's your uncle: antivirus, anti-spam and, if you add spamdyke to the equation, very fine-grained control over RBLS, graylisting, number of recipients, rDNS lookups and so on and so forth. We use this combination on almost all our Plesk-based systems.

But as for Plesk alternatives....erm...I don't think the Parallels forum is really the right place to be discussing that. Pretty much everybody on this forum will be a Plesk user. So maybe one of the many generic webhosting forums would be best? You'll then get an audience where there will be users of all sorts of software.

There is no need to use a costly commercial anti-spam option if you don't want -- If you use redhat/centos, you can use clamav, spamassassin and qmail-scanner and bob's your uncle: antivirus, anti-spam and, if you add spamdyke to the equation, very fine-grained control over RBLS, graylisting, number of recipients, rDNS lookups and so on and so forth. We use this combination on almost all our Plesk-based systems.

But as for Plesk alternatives....erm...I don't think the Parallels forum is really the right place to be discussing that. Pretty much everybody on this forum will be a Plesk user. So maybe one of the many generic webhosting forums would be best? You'll then get an audience where there will be users of all sorts of software.

True, I've been using ASSP for years but it's become much too complicated to manage as a part time gig.

As for being a plesk user, as I said, I have been, since version 2.x so it's not like I've not supported this software and just finally decided to let my SUS die on the last update.
I would continue it if I could find a less costly spam solution to work with it. Something non external but plesk on it's own is horrendously filled with spam unless you either have a spam proxy in front of it or buy one of their very expensive spam solutions.

Back