• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk how to configure external mail server

M

Matthijs@

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I have my domains registered at company #1.

The domains are configured as follows:
hosting > company #2
mail > own mail server

So there is no dns configuration in Plesk for my domains.

The problem is that email @mydomains.com are handled internally in stead of externally.

I already disabled mail in Plesk but it simply does not send mails to our mail server.

Any solutions?

Where is your DNS controlled? There must be a DNS entry in your zone file no matter where that may be. The entry would be:

mail.yourdomain.com A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your mail server's IP)
yourdomain.com MX mail.yourdomain.com

My dns is controlled at company 1.

The problem is that the server at company 2 does not even bother to check the dns records, because he thinks he can handle the mail internally.

That's more than likely because company 1 has the DNS for your email pointing to the same server that's hosting your site. That's the way it is mostly done. Contact company 1 and ask them to setup the DNS enties for you.

Well, that isn't the problem. I am recieving mail.

The only problem is the mail sent from the server (e.g. by using the php mailer function). Mail sent from the server to one of the domains the server is configured for does not work. Sending email from the server to other adresses does work.

Maybe Server comapany 2 does not run DNS on the Plesk server (DNS services are disabled) instead they run there DNS on an external server. I am not sure if there is way arround to solve the problem? I will try to find out ;)

Back