• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk in the future .... Hosting business ...

J

JoaoCorreia

Dear all,

I've been using Plesk for 2 years now, Its been great, some bugs but we are very satisfied.

Still some directions on Plesk future that need to be clarified.

Why Sw-Soft insists in bringing new features that are useless to the hosting business ? Game modules ? firewall modules ? application packages that they can't keep up to date ?

Lets see what are the REAL needs of a hosting business and focus on that.

After 2 years we still debate with some pretty basic bugs !

I propose these guidelines :

1 - Avoid integration comercial products at all cost of there's a good open source alternative
(Dr. Web is an example of a bad choice, you can have ClamAV with qmail-scanner and does the same. SW-SOFT should integrate these open source programs. AWSTATS not integrated is another example. A great stats software and Sw-Soft insists in using webalizer )

2 - Avoid introduction of futile products that bring nothing but security issues. (Application modules, phpBB, etc. If Sw-SOFT cant update these why bother instaling on your server ? You are opening a can of worms installing Applications !)

3 - Repair all bugs , stop new features and analise what a determinate feature can do for the hosting business, if its really usefull.

4 - Focus on security (maybe a grsecurity module would be usefull)

One very posite attitude I've seen is broader OS support. Supporting CentOS and other enterprise "white label" linux is great for the hosting business.

Best regards
Joao Correia

SW-Soft is like any other company, there's different markets to cator to to diversify your profits. But for the most part, as a hosting platform, if you leave out all the other stuff (as in, just don't install them), it does it's job well. The other issues are to be expected from any software. Also to note, the fancy bling didn't come until SW-Soft took over, who apparently has other ideas about who the "star child" is in their portfolio of software. Like right now, I think they have been putting alot more effort behind Virtuozzo than Plesk. But, AFAIK, the dev teams for the different packages all work independently, but they aren't exactly the ones who call the shots in most cases.. :confused: Growing pains.. :rolleyes:

Back