• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk incremental backup over (local) FTP doesn't work

hello_world.c

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44 Update #3
For reasons having to do with another issue, in order to split my backup into manageable pieces I have to use "external" backup storage but I am in fact using a local FTP account for this, so it ends up on the local storage space. In principle, it works fine the first time when it generates a full backup. But subsequent backups which are supposed to be incremental use an ever increasing amount of storage space on top of the full backup size! Here are the last few days:

1656597012752.png

For comparison, here a similar sequence using external Dropbox storage and this is what looks reasonable:

1656597110147.png

I am experiencing the exact same issue on two different servers, both of which are mostly static. Until the storage space runs out, there are no errors reported.

This appears to be broken.

*bump*
Any ideas, anyone? I don't have bug reporting privileges, will someone from the team consider adding it?

You should be able to report a bug as you have more than five posts:

When filling out the report it dawned on me that it may have been my own fault. When you use the local FTP server you can only use a data directory in user space. Which, at the next backup, is backed up, too. So I have to exclude this directory from my backups. Will test this now and report back.

Just in case somebody reads this: Yes, I unintentionally backed up the backup directory with every incremental backup. So it was a user error and this may be closed.

Back