• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Plesk is losing unicode characters > FFFF in mysql dump

Sage Pointer

New Pleskian
TITLE:
Plesk is losing unicode characters > FFFF in mysql dump
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx 17.8.11, Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64, MySQL 5.7.25-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
When exporting MySQL database with Export/Import function or Backup Manager, it is dumped in utf8 charset (not utf8mb4), and all symbols > FFFF (for example, emoji and some CJK symbols) are lost and replaced with ? in dump.
So, Plesk Backup feature is lossy and cannot be used in production environment, if any of your database uses text fields with emoji, for example.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. Create database in Plesk
2. Run a SQL query under this database:
CREATE TABLE emoji (data varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 DEFAULT NULL);
INSERT INTO emoji (data) VALUES (UNHEX('f09f9880')), ('Test');
3. Export this database and import it back.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
Instead of emoji symbol, it will be question mark inside a table. Latin text is preserved as is.​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Emoji symbol should be preserved and not replaced with question mark.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
To solve this, you can for example run mysqldump with --default-character-set=utf8mb4 option.
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Thank you for report. Bugreport PPPM-10414 was submitted.

From developer:

As a possible workaround, I suggest putting the following file:

# cat /etc/mysql/conf.d/utf8mb4.cnf
[client]
default-character-set = utf8mb4

And use mysqldump from the command line directly. Instead of configuration file it is possible to use command line option --default-character-set=utf8mb4.
I do not see any problem with importing of dumps with 4-byte Unicode characters through panel web UI.

Bump, this seems to have not been fixed as of yet? we still encounter this bug when migration sites from plesk server to plesk server via the migration tool.

Bump too @FrankTheMan.

Looks like this issue was not fixed and it seems to affect the Migration & Transfer Manager function as well. Last week I moved a client's subscription from one Plesk server to another and the database tables lost their emojis. Fortunately it was only a few minor details so the client didn't even noticed.

So I'm assuming that Plesk runs a mysqldump while transferring the subscription and it is not using the utf8mb4 charset as suggested as a workaround (BTW I found the same solution over at StackOverflow: mysqldump with utf8 can not export the right emojis string)

Fixed in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.46:
The plesk db command line utility no longer uses the --no-defaults option when calling the mysql or mysqldump commands. (PPPM-10414)
Emoji characters stored in MySQL databases are now backed up and restored properly. (PPPM-10414)

Last edited:
Back