• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Login

Greg Eslick

New Pleskian
TITLE:
Plesk Login
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx Version 17.0.17 Update #21,‪ Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2‬,Azure
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
A user reported this to me:

When logging in to Plesk: When I copy and paste a user name and password from an email like Microsoft Outlook (which uses Microsoft Word in HTML format), it adds a space. Copy and pasting your password will fail as it did for me because I too copied the user name and password into the login fields.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
same as above​
ACTUAL RESULT:
na​
EXPECTED RESULT:
We would expect the form inputs to be protected with trim functions for better security practices.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

The plesk login: login_up.php?success_redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fplesk.coldfusion.cloud%2F
Where the email came from makes no difference, it's just the copy and paste of spaces into the login input boxes. We would assume the username and password fields trim the whitespace on the text string, not accept the spaces.

Hi Greg Eslick,

We would assume the username and password fields trim the whitespace on the text string,
Could you explain, why you assume, that a "whitespace" would be trimmed in username/password - fields?

Because you mentioned "Microsoft Outlook", did you once consider to test your assumption at the eMail - account settings from one of your eMail - accounts? A whitespace will certainly be treated as a sign and you will experience, that you are not able to login, when the input at username and/or password fields contain a whitespace somewhere. ;)

Okay, I can state it another way. If I have login user as 'username ' omitting the quote chars and the space is intentional. Will that match aginst in the code as string 'username' or 'username '? What I am suggesting is that the field input should trim the whitespace on the end.

Hi Greg Eslick,

I ( personally ) don't agree here. Neither the username, nor the password field should trim anything at all, even if it is "only" a whitespace.

I was just passing along another customer's developer opinion. I also have 25yrs in the field as a developer, if this is by design so be it. Shared my opinion and do as you do. We do like the Plesk product and are fairly new to it. Best whitespace wishes!

Back