• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Migration + 'FPM application server by Apache' is missing. PHP5.6 broken

Chrisa

Basic Pleskian
Greetings,
I used Plesk Migrator to migrate from one Plesk 12.5.30 VPS to another one.
The migration itself seemed to work ok, however any existing websites that were using PHP 5.6.19 run PHP as "FPM application served by Apache" were down after the migration.

I can set the downed websites to 5.5.9 by OS Vendor run PHP as FPM application and they come back up.

There seems to be a couple of issues with 5.6.19:
1. When I try to set this in the Plesk/PHP settings I get the following error:

"Error: phpinimng failed: invoke-rc.d: initscript plesk-php56-fpm, action "status" failed. invoke-rc.d: initscript plesk-php56-fpm, action "status" failed. Service plesk-php56-fpm is down after attempt to start it"

2. Now the references to FPM application served by Apache & FPM application served by nginx are missing from both 5.5.9 by OS Vendor and 5.6.19

I did a stare and compare of Tools & Settings | Apache Web Server and both VPS configurations are identical. php5, proxy and proxy_fgi are greyed out, proxy and proxy_fgi have greyed out check marks.

I have tried to uninstall /reinstall PHP 5.6 = no change

I have tried to stop and start PHP 5.6 = fails to start
service plesk-php56-fpm stop
* Stopping PHP FastCGI Process Manager php-fpm [ OK ]
service plesk-php56-fpm start
* Starting PHP FastCGI Process Manager php-fpm [fail]

I have tried restarting apache = no change.

I'm looking for further troubleshooting suggestions, I would like to be able to understand what went wrong with PHP 5.6.19 and this migration.

Details:
Plesk 12.5.30
OS Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
# apache2 -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)

Thanks

Hi @Chrisa,

have you checked this kb article...

https://kb.plesk.com/en/127183

Hope it helps

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I had two domains in [/opt/plesk/php/5.6/etc/php-fpm.d/] that were not present.
I removed them and executed [/etc/init.d/plesk-php56-fpm restart] which failed.
I went into a domain and changed php from 5.5.9 to 5.6.19 and this time it did not fail.
After this I was able to [service plesk-php56-fpm stop] & [service plesk-php56-fpm start] with no issues.

I have one final question?
What happened to the references:
FPM application served by Apache
FPM application served by nginx

After the migration these options changed to "FPM application" which looks like Plesk 12.0.18.

When I initially installed the VPS it comes loaded with Plesk 12.0.18 which only has the option "FPM application" - it wasn't until I upgraded to Plesk 12.5.30 that the options
"FPM application served by Apache" & "FPM application served by nginx" became available in the drop down.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
oh good glad that helped.

I'm not sure I follow, in Plesk 12.5 you should have a drop down menu, under the domains PHP Settings...

FastCGI application served by Apache

Do you have these options?

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

No. I do have those options on the source VPS and did have them on the destination VPS prior to the migration.
After migration the destination VPS has only two options under 5.6.19:
FastCGI application
FPM application

I was expecting:
CGI application served by Apache
FastCGI application served by Apache

I am also getting the same lack of options under 5.5.9 by OS Vendor and 7.04 (no FPM application served by..).
It's almost as if during the migration, part of Plesk downgraded to 12.0.18 however when I go into the Plesk installer it lists Plesk @ 12.5.30 and the "Install or Upgrade Product" & "Update Components" are greyed out.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
have a look under...

Plesk -> Tools & Settings -> Apache Web Server

And Change MPM Mode to Prefork, you will then be able to select the cgi and php (if you wish) modules below.
You may have to check under...

Plesk -> Tools & Settings -> PHP Settings

And make sure they are enabled there too.
Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,
I changed the MPM mode to Prefork and checked php5 (cgi was already selected) but no new options.
Note: The 1st VPS does have those missing options [FPM application served by..] and is set for event.

I'd like to figure it out but what I might do is reinstall from scratch and try a test migration to see if this problem is repeatable or if it's a one time thing.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
sorry for the delay, did you go into...

Plesk -> Tools & Settings -> PHP Settings

And enable the versions you want? They should then be selectable for Plans and domains.
I hope that helps
Regards

Lloyd

Note: If you only see it as...

FPM application
FastCGI Application
CGI application

You most likely have Nginx disabled, re-enable it with...

Code:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/nginxmng --enable

Last edited:
Hi Lloyd,

I ended up reloading the VPS and repeating the migration with no errors so it might have been a glitch or a misconfiguration like the one you suggested.
I will add that to my notes and give it a try if I run into the same issue.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Chris

Back