• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35 - cannot log in

tetrahall

Basic Pleskian
Hi,
My webhost decided to upgrade Plesk from Onyx 17 to Obsidian 18.0.35.

The url is this:-
A blank page is displayed. I cannot log in.

They tell me that they can log in okay and couldn't provide further help.

I have tried all possible solutions, to no avail, they include:-
Plesk repair
Antivirus disabled
Chrome + Firefox (removed cookies + cache) + tried Safe Mode.

I believe it could be Security-related issue. But I've ran out of possible solutions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IgorG,
Thank you for the response.

Code:
# ps auxww | grep sw-engine
root     36189  0.0  0.0 112712   964 pts/0    S+   12:21   0:00 grep --color=auto sw-engine

# kill 36189
-bash: kill: (36189) - No such process

I couldn't kill process (36189), so I completed the remaining steps. Still, a blank page is displayed.

After you completed the remaining steps, is sw-engine running?
# service sw-engine status
?

If it is running and others can login, could it be possible that either port 8443 is blocked in an antivirus-software on your computer or that a firewall is blocking your IP? Have you tried changing your IP, e.g. by using a cell phone with deactivated WIFI to connect to the panel?

Hello Peter,

After completing the steps, using the command # service sw-engine status, I get this:-
# service sw-engine status
sw-engine.service - Startup script for Panel sw-engine
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sw-engine.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/sw-engine.service.d
respawn.conf
Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-04-27 18:21:05 BST; 31s ago
Process: 30683 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/find /run/lock/lmlib/ -mindepth 1 -delete (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 30992 (sw-engine-fpm)
Status: "Processes active: 0, idle: 2, Requests: 9, slow: 0, Traffic: 0.3req/sec"
Tasks: 4
Memory: 45.1M
CGroup: /system.slice/sw-engine.service
قق30992 sw-engine-fpm: master process (/etc/sw-engine/sw-engine-fp...
قق30994 sw-engine-fpm: pool plesk
قق30997 sw-engine-fpm: pool plesk
قق31054 sw-engine-fpm: pool plesk

Apr 27 18:21:05 server.mti-2020.online systemd[1]: Starting Startup script fo...
Apr 27 18:21:05 server.mti-2020.online systemd[1]: Started Startup script for...
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

Antivirus is disabled.
I can load Plesk onyx port 8443 on another webhost without a problem.

This webhost tells me it is browser-independent.

Would it be related somehow to a security setting?

On Firefox, I get this message:-

Your connection is not secure
The owner of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

There is the option of adding it as an exception. When added, I get a blank page !!

Can you try to use a different device that is not associated with the IP address of your local network, e.g. use a smartphone with de-activated wifi to access the control panel? Then check the SSL settings in Tools & Settings > Security. Install the necessary Let's Encrypt certificate.

Hello,
To cut a long story short, I had to ask the webhost in the end. I mentioned the suggestion:-
To check the SSL settings in Tools & Settings > Security.
Install the necessary Let's Encrypt certificate

The answer was simply: done!

They have given me several URLs to try, all yielded a blank page.

When I checked errors on the blank page using Fierfox tools, I noticed the following JS errors:-

SyntaxError: invalid property id plesk-ui-library.min.js:3:10496
SyntaxError: missing ( before catch main.js:1:29026
ReferenceError: Jsw is not defined global.js:6:5
ReferenceError: Jsw is not defined global.js:2:1
ReferenceError: Jsw is not defined login_up.php:29:5
ReferenceError: Jsw is not defined login_up.php:38:5
ReferenceError: Plesk is not defined

Not sure if they are relevant but they have been informed of that.

What is the current status of the case. Has the issue been fixed, meaning if the web hoster replied "done", then I'd assume they were able to login and to set the SSL cert. If so and you are still getting an empty page, the trick is to empty the browser cache, because obviously a JavaScript file has the wrong version.

Thank you Peter,

The case is still "open". They answered "done" in response to:-
To check the SSL settings in Tools & Settings > Security.
Install the necessary Let's Encrypt certificate

After that, they re-installed SSL + asked me to try various URL's - none of which worked.

They are able to access Plesk. I can't.
The browser's cache has been cleared repeatedly, prior to each attempt to call the URL.

I've requested re-installing Plesk Onyx because it worked. They cannot downgrade Plesk, they said. I am considering changing the webhost. Plesk Obsidian works fine for many, not for others, it seems!

The problem is very likely that when you request the URL from your network, you are not getting the latest static files that are actually hosted on the server, specificially the .js files. This can only mean that something in between your server and your computer is caching that content and delivers the wrong files.

Can you please use a cell phone, disable wifi on it, then open your Plesk login page on the phone? Just to verify that from another internet access point the page can be opened, please.

It cannot be opened from another cell phone.

I have closed the case and initiated a transfer to another webhost.

Many thanks for your input, IgorG and Peter.

Back