• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Obsidian 18.0.57 What is this application good for?

frager

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.57
What is this application good for? Why copy a website if the database on the copy and the original are the same? When I make a change to Joomla 5x on copied website, the original also changes. I can't understand the point of this.
Screenshot_1.jpg

Users who create websites normally do that either from a template, or they create a website on a domain as an alpha or beta version and later copy it to a final version. Copying does not change anything in the website. It is the responsibility of the user to edit configuration files of the copy to reflect new paths or database credentials. This makes a lot of sense, because how could the software know what to change and which database for example you want to use instead of the existing one.

In the WP Toolkit we also offer a "clone" feature. This also copies the database to a new database and automatically changes login credentials, paths, URL etc. in that database and configuration files to the new location. That is possible as for Wordpress it is well known and defined where these data are stored.

Users who create websites normally do that either from a template, or they create a website on a domain as an alpha or beta version and later copy it to a final version. Copying does not change anything in the website. It is the responsibility of the user to edit configuration files of the copy to reflect new paths or database credentials. This makes a lot of sense, because how could the software know what to change and which database for example you want to use instead of the existing one.

In the WP Toolkit we also offer a "clone" feature. This also copies the database to a new database and automatically changes login credentials, paths, URL etc. in that database and configuration files to the new location. That is possible as for Wordpress it is well known and defined where these data are stored.
Thanks for the answer, as you may have noticed I speak Google English (translator) here. Hopefully we can communicate well.
If I create a website as an alpha or beta version on a domain or subdomain and copy it to the main productive domain, what happens to the copy? Am I not allowed to change anything about it?

If I create a website as an alpha or beta version on a domain or subdomain and copy it to the main productive domain, what happens to the copy? Am I not allowed to change anything about it?
Nothing happens to the copy. You are allowed to both change the copy and the source. However if you change anything to copy the source won't get changed and visa versa.

So I'm back at the beginning of my problem. The copy and the original website use the same database as a mirror, do you understand now?

Yes, both original website and the copy would use the same database. As only the sites files are copied over. If you want to use a different database for your copied site, you'll have to make a copy of the database and manually change the database credentials in the configuration of the copied site. I hope this answer helps.

Yes, both original website and the copy would use the same database. As only the sites files are copied over. If you want to use a different database for your copied site, you'll have to make a copy of the database and manually change the database credentials in the configuration of the copied site. I hope this answer helps.
That was really a helpful answer. I thank myself.

Back