• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk partitions

John_derth

New Pleskian
Hi,

just bought a dedicated server from OVH 32GB of RAM SoftRaid 2x2TB and tried to install the OS (Linux Plesk Onyx (CentOS 7) + centos7-plesk17) and give me this partitions per default. See attache file.

Just read the Hard Drive Partitioning for Plesk at https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/deployment-guide/reference/hard-drive-partitioning-for-plesk.76805/ And noticed ovh does not include /tmp in my partitions. Do I need to create it? Also, plesk docs recommended RAMx2 for SWAP and ovh give only 1GB. While I read that is not good to give RAMx2 for RAM which is in this case 64GB SWAP for 32GB of RAM. Do I really need the /tmp? What happen if I didn't create the /tmp partition? Can someone please suggest a good a recommended partition for my server (linux), because I want to host a website on it, small eCommerce site using opencart platform.

Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• partition.png
    partition.png
    16 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi John_derth,

as far that I know, you are able to define OWN settings for your partitions, when you use the OVH menu; but due to fact that we can't give support for OVH, I suggest to ask THEIR support for assistance, if you need help here.

In addition you can read within the Plesk recommendations:
To achieve optimal result, we recommend partitioning the server hard disk as follows
... so this is not a requirement to meet, it is a recommendation. ;)

The given recommendations from Plesk are good and should be followed, if possible, as advanced system engineers, developpers and experienced linux server administrators wrote the recommendations based on their knowledge and their experience. :)

Hi John_derth,

as far that I know, you are able to define OWN settings for your partitions, when you use the OVH menu; but due to fact that we can't give support for OVH, I suggest to ask THEIR support for assistance, if you need help here.

The given recommendations from Plesk are good and should be followed, if possible, as advanced system engineers, developpers and experienced linux server administrators wrote the recommendations based on their knowledge and their experience. :)

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it!

Could you please tell me what issues I will get if I keep the default configuration provided by OVH. Because I have 32GB of RAM SoftRaid 2x2TB. Also, Plesk recommendation says: (usually at least the amount of RAM on the server times two) Does it mean need to give the SWAP 64GB? Also, OVH does not add the /tmp partition per default. Is it not necessary or need to create a partition for it? Please reply to my message as soon as possible. Appreciate your time and help.

Thank you :)

Does it mean need to give the SWAP 64GB?
No, it's not obligatory in your case. Usually, this recommendation is relevant for servers with a small amount of RAM.
OVH does not add the /tmp partition per default. Is it not necessary or need to create a partition for it?
It's not obligatory too. /tmp on / partition is enough.

No, it's not obligatory in your case. Usually, this recommendation is relevant for servers with a small amount of RAM.

It's not obligatory too. /tmp on / partition is enough.
Thanks for your answer. My last question. So, it's fine to go with the default partition in the screenshot attached in my thread without creating the tmp partition and with 1GB FOR SWAP?

Last edited:
I see nothing suspicious in your partition table. Just one note - you can disable swap if you have 32GB of RAM.

Yes. Why not? :)
Just because you said: if I have 32GB of ram, disable swap. So, if there is no differences or issues, I will keep 1GB for ram and keep all the default settings as my screenshot. Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it :)

Just because you said: if I have 32GB of ram, disable swap. So, if there is no differences or issues, I will keep 1GB for ram and keep all the default settings as my screenshot. Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it :)

You can increase / partition to 50GB to avoid issues if you are going to install a lot of stuff.
But I recommend you to install a clean Centos 7 with distribution offical kernel and then to install Plesk Onyx on it, because OVH templates are most of the time oudated, or use their own kernels.

You can increase / partition to 50GB to avoid issues if you are going to install a lot of stuff.
But I recommend you to install a clean Centos 7 with distribution offical kernel and then to install Plesk Onyx on it, because OVH templates are most of the time oudated, or use their own kernels.
Ok. Thank you :)

Hi John_derth,

Can you tell me why you can't give support for OVH? Is it banned here at plesk or not a good hosting for plesk? Please tell me as soon as possible.

Hi John_derth,

Can you tell me why you can't give support for OVH?
This is quite easy to answer: I don't have an "OVH" - account and don't know their menus, procedures and processes. ;)

But far more important is, that this forum has been created to help people with questions/issues/errors/problems with plesk - related topics, while we offer as well the choice to open a thread at => Home > Forum > General Discussion > Open Topics for topics, which are not related to Plesk, its components and extensions. :)

Hi John_derth,

This is quite easy to answer: I don't have an "OVH" - account and don't know their menus, procedures and processes. ;)

But far more important is, that this forum has been created to help people with questions/issues/errors/problems with plesk - related topics, while we offer as well the choice to open a thread at => Home > Forum > General Discussion > Open Topics for topics, which are not related to Plesk, its components and extensions. :)

Thanks for your answer. Just my last question and hope you answer me! As you know, ovh provide free plesk web pro with dedicated server. My question is does plesk control panel alert me and display outdated components,packages in order to update them with one-click and protect my server? Or need to update for example php,nginx, mysql....etc manually with command linen I'm new to dedicated server? Please answer my question, because I want to keep my server safe, and any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi John_derth,

Please answer my question, because I want to keep my server safe, and any suggestion would be appreciated.
Plesk comes with a very decent and easy to read documentation and I therefore suggest, that you take your time to read it carefully, if you are new to Plesk.

Pls. note as well the SEARCH option at the top of each page from our Plesk online documentation. The powerfull search engine willl help you to find the depending documentation within seconds, when you use a decent keyword with your search. :)

Hi John_derth,

Plesk comes with a very decent and easy to read documentation and I therefore suggest, that you take your time to read it carefully, if you are new to Plesk.

Pls. note as well the SEARCH option at the top of each page from our Plesk online documentation. The powerfull search engine willl help you to find the depending documentation within seconds, when you use a decent keyword with your search. :)

Great! :) So, plesk give me control for my server to update php, nginx, mysql, apache to protect my website from security vulnerabilities without using command line at all. Is that correct?

Great! :) So, plesk give me control for my server to update php, nginx, mysql, apache to protect my website from security vulnerabilities without using command line at all. Is that correct?
In fact, this is so. In most cases, to prevent vulnerabilities, it's enough to just install the update. But sometimes unexpectedly found vulnerabilities happen, for the elimination of which you must perform some actions on the command line before the update of the vulnerable component will be released.

Back