• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk puts deleted logs to C:\Recycler

GiorgosI

Basic Pleskian
Windows 2008 R2 SP1
Plesk 10.3.1

Plesk creates every day a folder in:
C:\Recycler\{86066D57-9347-46a7-B4DB-971D9EF36D29}.
That is not the recycle bin. Recycle bin, which is at:
C:\$RECYCLE.BIN
is empty.

That folder (the first one) contains all the deleted access_logs of our sites and is created when Daily script runs (the log rotation takes place). It contains 20GB of files.

Is it safe to delete these daily created folders with their contents?
How can we stop them from being created?

Looks like misconfiguration of Windows environment settings.

I forget about prevoius paths of temp

Have you tried contact Microsoft Support? I think that they will help you with Windows much more effectively.

I forget about previous paths of temp which was working and set
Environment variables.

got the same problem here with all my servers with plesk 10 and 11
Which environment variable exactly needs to be set and is required ?
Thanks in advance

Looks like misconfiguration of Windows environment settings.

IgorG - Are you fairly certain about that? Because I believe there is a Plesk bug here.

I have the exact same issue, also on Windows 2008 R2.
I have the EXACT SAME folder:
C:\Recycler\{86066D57-9347-46a7-B4DB-971D9EF36D29}

that number "86066D57-9347-46a7-B4DB-971D9EF36D29" looks very suspiciously like a Windows GUID (Globally Unique ID) to me. These are generally auto-generated by the system to guarantee uniqueness - it would be VERY unlikely for Microsoft to hardcode a GUID into any of their software components. In fact, if I look in the Registry at the storage location for the Windows Recycle bin, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket, I find a guid of {a195f8d9-02ce-11e0-9f96-806e6f6e6963}. I would bet that the other people reporting an issue here would have different GUIDs in that location.

Furthermore, if I search the registry for the guid "86066D57-9347-46a7-B4DB-971D9EF36D29", I find no results which further reinforces that this is not part of the Windows environment. However, if I search these forums for the same string, I find several instances of other Plesk users having error messages that reference this particular string.

Finally, it is notable that operating system versions BEFORE Windows 2008 stored their recycle bins in C:\Recycler whereas the new location is C:\$Recycle.Bin. This further indicates to me that Plesk or one of the components it loaded has made an invalid assumption about the operating system, and failing to find a recycle bin in the location it expects to find it, has fallen-back on a hardcoded value that is C:\Recycler\{86066D57-9347-46a7-B4DB-971D9EF36D29}

Here's one final observation:

If I open the file c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\isapi\sitemaintenance.dll in a text editor - The following string is found within: U n a b l e t o d e t e r m i n a t e w i n d o w s t y p e R e c y c l e r R e c y c l e r { 8 6 0 6 6 D 5 7 - 9 3 4 7 - 4 6 a 7 - B 4 D B - 9 7 1 D 9 E F 3 6 D 2 9 }

I've also tried to recreate the Recycle.bin on the disk using

c:\> rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

but the problem still persists.

Furthermore,
I have this problem on *all* Windows 2008 servers with Plesks 10,x and 11.x series.
I also have other Windows 2008 servers *but with Plesk 9.5.5* and the problem *DOES NOT OCCUR*.

Igor, would you be so kind and answer us of which precisely environmental settings are you talking about ?

Last edited:
Back