• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved "plesk repair all" breaks off because it wants to repair DNS

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
I have servers on which I have bind9 installed, but DNS is not installed in Plesk (nor do I want to).

When I invoke "plesk repair all" it wants to repair DNS
I'm guessing it wants to because bind9 is installed.
It then breaks off the repair because it fails in repairing it.

Hi mr-wolf,

It then breaks off the repair because it fails in repairing it.
That's the reason, why you have ( optional ) "plesk repair" - commands, which don't include DNS - repair processes. ;)

If you tell the Plesk Repair Utility, that it has to repair DNS - settings ( pls. remember, that YOU choosed the "-all" option! ), even that you know that there is no bind9 - installation on your server, you expect the utility to ignore your command, which it will not follow and therefore break up when it reaches the DNS - repair - process.

why would it want to repair something which it isn't managing???
There must be ample flags for that tool to find out if it has anything useful to do for DNS.

When I write something that is used by others I always include some sanity checks to make sure that the things that script is planning to do is going to be valid.

I have never told Plesk to manage DNS, so it should be clever enough to skip configuration checking/changes....
It is sheer luck the script broke down and it didn't ruin my config.

I think it's messy and lazy for the script not to check....

BTW....
In Plesk itself it is showing "whois info" instead of DNS settings when it's not managing DNS.
I expect that from such a utility as well.

Back