• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk repair failed - started a chain of errors

Konggal

New Pleskian
First i tried to update via the update option in the plesk panel and it failed and locked me out with a error. i then googled a bit and found out i had to recover from that with plesk repair installation in the terminal. i tried that and it gave me this
Code:
Reconfiguring the Plesk installation

Started bootstrapper repair procedure. This may take a while.
Certain actions may be skipped if not applicable.

Finishing up upgrade procedures and rerunning previously failed upgrade actions...
===> Cumulative APS controller database (apsc) upgrade and repair has been started.
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of APS controller database has been completed.
===> Cumulative APS controller upgrade and repair (final stage) has been started.
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of APS controller (final stage) has been completed.
===> Cumulative Plesk database upgrade and repair (revertable stage) has been started.
===> Preparing Plesk database upgrade (revertable stage).
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of Plesk database (revertable stage) has been completed.
===> Plesk database scheme upgrade has been started.
Applying migrations from: /opt/psa/bootstrapper/pp17.5.3-bootstrapper/migrations/
===> Plesk database scheme upgrade has been completed.
===> Cumulative Plesk upgrade and repair (final stage) has been started.
===> Preparing Plesk upgrade (final stage).
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of Plesk (final stage) has been completed.
Synchronizing state of bind9.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable bind9
 Reconfiguring mail subsystem...
 Reconfiguring Apache web server...
Module mpm_prefork disabled.
To activate the new configuration, you need to run:
  service apache2 restart
Module mpm_worker already disabled
Module php5 disabled.
To activate the new configuration, you need to run:
  service apache2 restart
 Reconfiguring ProFTPD FTP server...
===> Configuring ProFTPD server
 Reconfiguring AWStats web statistics...
 Reconfiguring WatchDog...
 Restoring SELinux contexts...
Synchronizing state of sw-cp-server.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable sw-cp-server
Synchronizing state of sw-engine.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable sw-engine
Synchronizing state of dovecot.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable dovecot
Synchronizing state of drwebd.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable drwebd
Synchronizing state of spamassassin.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable spamassassin
Synchronizing state of pc-remote.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable pc-remote
Synchronizing state of nginx.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable nginx
Synchronizing state of psa.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable psa
 Reconfiguring SSL ciphers and protocols...
 Regenerating web servers' configuration files...
 Cleaning active Panel sessions...

Bootstrapper repair finished.
Errors occurred while performing the following actions: restore mail, fix WatchDog configuration.
Check '/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_17.5.3_repair.log' and '/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_17.5.3_repair_problems.log' for details.
If you can't resolve the issue on your own, please address Parallels support.

but now plesk panel worked i could login and do stuff. i then tried to open one of my sites to find out it wasn't secured by Let's encrypt anymore and checked them all to see no site was secured anymore
so i tried renewing them all and making sure all domains was set to use the correct cert whcih they were.
went back to google to learn that i would have to restart apache2 for it to use the certs after i updated but now the big issue.. i can't restart apache2 when i try with "service apache2 restart" i get "
Job for apache2.service failed because the control process exited with error code. "

took a look in journalctl -xe and saw this

Code:
➜  service apache2 restart
Job for apache2.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status apache2.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
➜  systemctl status apache2.service
● apache2.service - LSB: Apache2 web server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.d
           └─forking.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-08-24 04:49:01 CEST; 5s ago
  Process: 6184 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/apache2 stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 13102 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/apache2 start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: The apache2 configtest failed. ... (warning).
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: Output of config test was:
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: AH00526: Syntax error on line 49 of /etc/apache2/plesk.conf.d/vhosts/collab.eveovermind.com.conf:
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: SSLCertificateFile: file '/opt/psa/var/certificates/cert-0pu0YH' does not exist or is empty
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: Action 'configtest' failed.
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: The Apache error log may have more information.
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk systemd[1]: apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Apache2 web server.
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk systemd[1]: apache2.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk systemd[1]: apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

But not enough with that it seems like its getting spammed with a tons of errors from plesk or plesk modules

Code:
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk sendmail[13177]: plesk sendmail[13177]: Unable to get sender domain by sender mailname
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk check-quota[13178]: Starting the check-quota filter...
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk sendmail[13177]: plesk sendmail[13177]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk sendmail[13177]: plesk sendmail[13177]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk sendmail[13177]: plesk sendmail[13177]: Unable to get sender domain by sender mailname

Code:
Aug 24 04:30:04 evefan.dk dovecot_authdb_plesk[1961]: No such user 'admin@domain' in mail authorization database

Hi Konggal,

the very first thing you should post, if you experience issues/errors/problems, is YOUR operating system, as Plesk supports several operating systems and possible suggestions and resolutions might include specific commands for YOUR operating system software.

Errors occurred while performing the following actions: restore mail, fix WatchDog configuration.
Check '/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_17.5.3_repair.log' and '/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_17.5.3_repair_problems.log' for details.
Pls. be so kind to attach the mentioned logs, so people willing to help you don't have to guess what issues/errors/problems you might have.

After you solved the first issues with your Plesk Control Panel, pls. consider as well to add the "panel.log", which might as well help to investigate ( possible ) issues/errors/problems. In addition, pls. note, that the Plesk Let's Encrypt Extensions logs the actions at this "panel.log" and if you experience issues with Let's Encrypt certificates, it is always a good start to investigate the "panel.log" for ( possible ) issues/errors/problems.

Additional informations:

Sometimes, it is as well a good idea to change the log - level ( TEMPORARILY! ), to get more informations in Plesk - log - files:

You then posted the related log - entry from your apache - webserver - restart and should have noticed:
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: AH00526: Syntax error on line 49 of /etc/apache2/plesk.conf.d/vhosts/collab.eveovermind.com.conf:
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: SSLCertificateFile: file '/opt/psa/var/certificates/cert-0pu0YH' does not exist or is empty
Aug 24 04:49:01 evefan.dk apache2[13102]: Action 'configtest' failed.
This indicates, that you use an either non existing certificate, or the rebuild of your domain specific webserver configuration file for the subdomain "collab.eveovermind.com" failed for some reason. Pls consider to repair it with the "Plesk Repair Utility" ( => Plesk Repair Utility ), using the example command:
Code:
plesk repair web example.com
or to try to rebuild ALL webserver configuration files, you would use for example:
Code:
plesk repair web -y -v
Again, this repair procedure will log the actions in a "repair.log", which you should post as attachment, if you need help with your investigations.

Your provided log - entries from your mail.log point to ( still existing ) issues/errors/problems, which you could try to solve with for example the "Plesk Repair Utility" ( => Plesk Repair Utility ) and if this doesn't already solved your issues/errors/problems, pls. consider to check if depending services are actually running on your server and consider as well to limit spam by using "SPF" - entries and "DMARC" - entries for your domain "evefan.dk" ( which are both currently not existent ). Pls. see for example => evefan.dk Domain Health

Hi Konggal,

the very first thing you should post, if you experience issues/errors/problems, is YOUR operating system, as Plesk supports several operating systems and possible suggestions and resolutions might include specific commands for YOUR operating system software.

Pls. be so kind to attach the mentioned logs, so people willing to help you don't have to guess what issues/errors/problems you might have.

After you solved the first issues with your Plesk Control Panel, pls. consider as well to add the "panel.log", which might as well help to investigate ( possible ) issues/errors/problems. In addition, pls. note, that the Plesk Let's Encrypt Extensions logs the actions at this "panel.log" and if you experience issues with Let's Encrypt certificates, it is always a good start to investigate the "panel.log" for ( possible ) issues/errors/problems.

Additional informations:

=> Plesk for Linux services logs and configuration files ( KB - article: 213403509 )
Sometimes, it is as well a good idea to change the log - level ( TEMPORARILY! ), to get more informations in Plesk - log - files:

You then posted the related log - entry from your apache - webserver - restart and should have noticed:

This indicates, that you use an either non existing certificate, or the rebuild of your domain specific webserver configuration file for the subdomain "collab.eveovermind.com" failed for some reason. Pls consider to repair it with the "Plesk Repair Utility" ( => Plesk Repair Utility ), using the example command:
Code:
plesk repair web example.com
or to try to rebuild ALL webserver configuration files, you would use for example:
Code:
plesk repair web -y -v
Again, this repair procedure will log the actions in a "repair.log", which you should post as attachment, if you need help with your investigations.

Your provided log - entries from your mail.log point to ( still existing ) issues/errors/problems, which you could try to solve with for example the "Plesk Repair Utility" ( => Plesk Repair Utility ) and if this doesn't already solved your issues/errors/problems, pls. consider to check if depending services are actually running on your server and consider as well to limit spam by using "SPF" - entries and "DMARC" - entries for your domain "evefan.dk" ( which are both currently not existent ). Pls. see for example => evefan.dk Domain Health

Oh yeah forgot to add the logs
But here are all of them also the repair log of plesk repair web -y -v

System: Debian 9.7
Product: Plesk Onyx
Version :17.5.3

I did a plesk repair -n also and added the log.
i do have some folders with 0777 which is the 12 warnings

about the SPF and DMARC i would need to read up on.

Attachments

• panel.log
    954.2 KB · Views: 4
  • repair-20170824-082628.log
    2.9 KB · Views: 3
  • repair-20170824-083048.log
    5.6 KB · Views: 3
  • plesk_17.5.3_installation.log
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
  • plesk_17.5.3_repair.log
    14.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Now after sitting and editing all the conf files removing any trance of SSL in each i could get apache2 started again with no errors

Now i just have the issue that i cannot get any certs added to any of my homepages. i can renew fine and being told that the site now use the let's encrypt cert. its enabled and set to use the correct cert but when ever i go on the homepage i'm being told it use a self signed one called plesk and the same goes for when doing a SSL test i simply get

Certificate name mismatch
Try these other domain names (extracted from the certificates):

1) In hosting settings set the SSL certificate selector drop down to "Not Selected"; if a certificate was used for webmail, too, to into mail configuration and set the selector drop down to "Not Selected".
2) In the SSL icon of the subscription remove the SSL certificate completely (delete it from the subscription).
3) Create a new certificate by the Let's Encrypt icon.

If the former certificate is not deleted, the extension will most likely mess up file names of the old and the new certificate upon renewal or recreation. Setting a new certificate will only work flawlessly if all old entries have been removed before. It's an unfixed :mad: bug. One could say, it is really "bugging" us ... With this bug another one is associated: When you try to restore a subscription from a backup that was previously linked with a Let's Encrypt certificate, the name mismatch may occur, too. Be prepared for surprises. Best way is to first remove all remains of the previous certificate, then create a new one. This should work and should be stable.

1) In hosting settings set the SSL certificate selector drop down to "Not Selected"; if a certificate was used for webmail, too, to into mail configuration and set the selector drop down to "Not Selected".
2) In the SSL icon of the subscription remove the SSL certificate completely (delete it from the subscription).
3) Create a new certificate by the Let's Encrypt icon.

If the former certificate is not deleted, the extension will most likely mess up file names of the old and the new certificate upon renewal or recreation. Setting a new certificate will only work flawlessly if all old entries have been removed before. It's an unfixed :mad: bug. One could say, it is really "bugging" us ... With this bug another one is associated: When you try to restore a subscription from a backup that was previously linked with a Let's Encrypt certificate, the name mismatch may occur, too. Be prepared for surprises. Best way is to first remove all remains of the previous certificate, then create a new one. This should work and should be stable.

Alright.
It seems like i do not have a "Not Selected" option i have 2 options Lets Encrypt domainname and lets encrypt (Other repository)

Also just noticed that i cannot access Apache & nginx settings at all. i get Warning: Permission denied. and the mail tab is completly gone from the panel and its on all domains and sub domains have tried a repair all -y and no issues at all

It seems like i do not have a "Not Selected" option
I don't know the solution for this. There should be a "not selected" option, because else a certificate cannot be deleted. You can try to select the "other repository" instead as a workaround. This will disable the certificate, too.

I don't know the solution for this. There should be a "not selected" option, because else a certificate cannot be deleted. You can try to select the "other repository" instead as a workaround. This will disable the certificate, too.

It seems like plesk can't do any changes to conf files
When i try to access the apache & nginx settings I'm simply being told permission denied
panel.log with filter level 7 tells me

Code:
[2017-08-24 19:26:24] ERR [panel] PleskPermissionDeniedException: Permission denied.
file: /opt/psa/admin/application/smb/controllers/WebController.php
line: 620
code: 0
trace: #0 /opt/psa/admin/externals/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Smb_WebController->webServerSettingsAction()
#1 /opt/psa/admin/externals/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(string 'webServerSettingsAction')
#2 /opt/psa/admin/externals/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(object of type Zend_Controller_Request_Http, object of type Zend_Controller_Response_Http)
#3 /opt/psa/admin/plib/Application/Web.php(39): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch(NULL null)
#4 /opt/psa/admin/htdocs/application.php(15): Plesk\Application_Web->run()

[2017-08-24 19:26:24] WARN [panel] Permission denied.

I was forced to buy a technical support licence and create a ticket there and after 5 hours of having a Technical Support Engineer dig around she fixed 80% of the problems and got most problems fixed except my SSL issue.
and turns out mod_ssl breaks apache2

she then disabled mod_ssl
tells me i run on a backport of libssl1.0.0:amd64 which is unsupported by plesk and that i should install the package from debian8 repo and it should fix it.

i reinstalled it with the correct version from the debian8 repo and then a2enmod ssl and the same issue was back again
apache2 log only tells me
Code:
[Sat Aug 26 07:11:21.569989 2017] [ssl:info] [pid 4530] AH01887: Init: Initializing (virtual) servers for SSL
AH00016: Configuration Failed

[ 2017-08-26 07:11:21.6007 4543/7147563b8700 age/Ust/UstRouterMain.cpp:422 ]: Signal received. Gracefully shutting down... (send signal 2 more time(s) to force shutdown)

Which doesn't tell me much at all.
any have any experience with mod_ssl stopping apache2 from starting?

Back