• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue plesk sendmail The sender's domain is not registered in Panel, or is misconfigured

Bartlomiej Wulff

New Pleskian
Hi guys,

I have a problem with sending e-mails via contact form from wordpress. If wordpress tries to send a message, I get in the syslog following errors:

Aug 31 11:46:53 h2434581 py_limit_out[12892]: ERROR Rejecting forged message: PPP_SENDER_VHOST_ID is present in environment, but its value is empty
Aug 31 11:46:53 h2434581 plesk sendmail[12891]: handlers_stderr: DATA REPLY:554:5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The sender's domain is not registered in Panel, or is misconfigured.
Aug 31 11:46:53 h2434581 plesk sendmail[12891]: handlers_stderr: REJECT
Aug 31 11:46:53 h2434581 plesk sendmail[12891]: REJECT during call 'limit-out' handler

It has worked before updating PLESK to 12.5. I have already tried to reconfigure all mail settings by:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk--with-spam
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-domain <my_domain>

also the VHOST_ID is the same in

cat /var/www/vhosts/system/<my_domain>/conf/httpd.conf

as in the PLESK database.

It's urgent problem, my customers prefers this contact formular on my website to contact me.

@community & PLESK team: Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Check whether Wordpress is using PHP built-in mail() function to send mails. The plugin you are using might be configured to
a) use SMTP auth, using wrong credentials
b) use a queue which is processed by a crontab job. Upon processing the queue, the job does not pass the vhost_id, resulting in mails being rejected by outgoing mail control.
Change the method to mail() function and it will probably work.

Hi Peter,

well, the plugin uses the standard PHP mail() function (the same thing if you want to get a new passwd for the admin backend of wordpress). I have fixed this issue by installing a WP plugin to use smtp and not php mail() to send mails from wordpress - it works for me. But I still do not have any idea why plesk not allows to send mails via mail() from wordpress (my other scripts on the server using smtp are working well).

Thanks and have a nice day.

Maybe the PHP setting for mail() is misconfigured in the php.ini file of the PHP version that the domain is using?

Hi Bartlomiej Wulff,

But I still do not have any idea why plesk not allows to send mails via mail() from wordpress (my other scripts on the server using smtp are working well).
To be more precise, as Peter Debik's answer, the STANDARD setting in your depending php.ini could be:

Code:
; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
; http://php.net/sendmail-path
; sendmail_path = "sendmail -t -i"
As you can see:
  1. The standard configuration is COMMENTED OUT with an ";", which will result in the standard PHP - configuration, as seen in the example.
  2. The standard configuration is based on the "hostname" and/or "mailname" settings of your used mail - server on your server. If you don't change the standard setting, sendmail will use the standards. This might cause issues, when your hostname/mailname settings on your server are set to a domain, which isn't configured in Plesk ( example: vpsxxx.hoster-domain.com ).

The simple solution is to set in all PHP - configuration - files:

sendmail_path = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f [email protected]"
( Pls. use an existent eMail - account, to avoid other issues/problems/failures, due to sender restrictions in your mail - server configuration! )

Back