• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk taking out server when logging in

ericgr

New Pleskian
I went to login to Plesk today and it would no longer accept my username/password although I hadn't changed it. After trying a few times, it finally 'went through' to a blank page. When I refresh that screen, my whole server crashes, taking down the websites on it, also. Then I have to reboot the server to get it all back up again.

any ideas?

... although I hadn't changed it ....
Sure.

After trying a few times, it finally 'went through' to a blank page. When I refresh that screen, my whole server crashes, taking down the websites on it, also.
It's probably Fail2Ban blocking your DSL IP address for too many wrong login attempts.

Have you considered to reset your password, e.g. with using the "forgot password" link on the Plesk login page?

Thanks for the reply @Peter Debik . I promise I didn't change it! I'm using LastPass explicitly because my memory is unreliable :) I did try to use the 'reset password' but no email ever arrived (though I will have to double-check if email is set up correctly in Plesk).

Fortunately, after a second reboot, it seemed to cough up a hair ball and let me log in.

The weird thing was, that even if my password was wrong and Fail2Ban kickd in, why would it take down the entire server and the three websites that were running on it?

I'm not sure, but I will chalk this one up to user error, regardless.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Fail2Ban creates a rule in iptables to block traffic from the offensive IP address. This does not make a difference between services, but blocks traffic in general. For that reason you cannot connect to your server when your IP is being blocked. What one needs to understand though is that that the server and your websites remained fully available and functional at all time. Only your own IP address was blocked from accessing them. It might have felt to you as if the server became inaccessible, but your server stayed online. Only your own internet line was locked out, all other Internet users were able to continue to access the server.

Back