• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Plesk Terminal Utility - How Does Plesk Login to the Terminal? (SSH Key or Password?)

regenix

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04 x64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Admin Edition Version 18.0.63 Update #4
Just as it says in the title. I am curious to know because I enable the line in sshd_config called 'PermitRootLogin prohibit-password' and that disabled password login (which is good since I can just securely login using keys generated from PuTTY). My question is does the Plesk terminal have it's own set of keys? And how might I manage those keys if I needed to?

Just found a fantastic method for helping to get to the bottom of this.

Asked GPT-4o:
Hey is there a command in linux/ssh to show which method I used to logon? (If it was with a password or with a public key?)

GPT's Answer:

-----------

Yes, you can view the IP address associated with your current SSH session using a couple of different commands on Linux.

1. Check SSH Authentication Logs

The SSH daemon logs connection information, including the authentication method, to system log files. You can use the following commands to search these logs for details on your login session.
  • For Ubuntu/Debian-based systems:

sudo grep 'Accepted' /var/log/auth.log

• For CentOS/RHEL-based systems:

sudo grep 'Accepted' /var/log/secure
These logs will show entries like this:
Oct 1 12:34:56 server sshd[12345]: Accepted publickey for user from 192.168.1.100 port 12345 ssh2: RSA SHA256:...
Oct 1 12:35:12 server sshd[12345]: Accepted password for user from 192.168.1.100 port 12345 ssh2

In the output:
  • Accepted publickey indicates that you logged in using an SSH key.
  • Accepted password means you logged in using a password.

2. Check the Current SSH Session

To check which method was used for your current session, you can use:
sudo journalctl -xe | grep sshd
or
sudo journalctl _COMM=sshd

This command will also show details about your current SSH session, including the authentication method used.

3. For Active Users (with Session Details):​

Another way to check SSH authentication status is by running:
or

This command shows active sessions but doesn't indicate the login method. You’ll need to cross-check with the log files for that detail.

By checking these logs, you can determine whether you authenticated with a password or a public key.

-----------

So I tried it.
Inside the output from running the 2nd command I got:
Accepted publickey for root from 127.0.0.1 port 58052 ssh2: RSA SHA256:(redacted)
Which strongly suggests Plesk is using keys to authenticate into the terminal (good!) I still have other questions and troubles but at least there's that!

P.S. If you are connecting with a few different devices want to see what your IP is for your SSH client (besides the Plesk Terminal) use:

echo $SSH_CLIENT
On that client to see client connection info.

Back