• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk update broken - Template_Exception: Can not restart web server

Brouk Pytlik

New Pleskian
Hi,
I'm running out of ideas and I hope someone can point me to the right direction: the Plesk update process is broken and so far I can guess it is broken since I've installed Confluence - to do this I had to update mysql from 5.5 to 5.6 by following this article. My diagnosis sofar: mysql and apache2 do not start properly during the Plesk update process leading in broken sites. I'm suspecting this error to be the issue:

$ systemctl status apache2.service
Failed to issue method call: No such interface 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties' on object at path /org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/apache2_2eservice

Here the details - all the output from logs is attached.

a) My environment

$ uname -a
Linux lvps46-163-113-5.dedicated.hosteurope.de 3.13.0-042stab123.9 #1 SMP Thu Jun 29 13:01:59 MSK 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ plesk version
Product version: Plesk Onyx 17.5.3
Build date: 2017/03/17 16:00
OS version: Ubuntu 14.04
Revision: 55d1b49a272f44666e1920eca8b6e4da449a38cd
Architecture: 64-bit
Wrapper version: 1.2

$ mysql --version
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.37, for Linux (x86_64) using EditLine wrapper

System is up to date - apt-get update && apt-get upgrade is clean. Also:

$ sudo apt-get -f install
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.

---

Any idea is very much appriciated! Thanks in advance!
Martin

Attachments

• plesk_update.txt
    19.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi Brouk Pytlik,

your error
$ systemctl status apache2.service
Failed to issue method call: No such interface 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties' on object at path /org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/apache2_2eservice
is not related to Plesk, it's components or extensions. It is related to your NetworkManager and it's devices ( mostly wifi - related as far that I know ).

Sometimes, you are able to solve such issues by rebooting your server and it could help as well to use ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ):
Code:
update-rc.d dbus defaults
service dbus restart
/etc/init.d/xinetd stop
/etc/init.d/xinetd start
or
Code:
systemctl restart dbus.service
systemctl restart xinetd.service

If you experience further issues as describe, I recommend to contact the support of your server provider ( HostEurope ), or consider to get official professional Plesk support for "Administrative Services" at:

Thank you UFHH01,
I tried as proposed:
Sometimes, you are able to solve such issues by rebooting your server and it could help as well to use ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ):
Code:
service dbus restart
/etc/init.d/xinetd stop
/etc/init.d/xinetd start

$ sudo update-rc.d dbus defaults
[sudo] password for martin:
update-rc.d: warning: default stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match dbus Default-Stop values (none)
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/dbus ...
/etc/rc0.d/K20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
/etc/rc1.d/K20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
/etc/rc6.d/K20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
/etc/rc2.d/S20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
/etc/rc3.d/S20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
/etc/rc4.d/S20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
/etc/rc5.d/S20dbus -> ../init.d/dbus

$ sudo service dbus restart
dbus stop/waiting
dbus start/running, process 14782

$ sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
xinetd stop/waiting

$ sudo /etc/init.d/xinetd start
xinetd start/running, process 14849

$ ps aux | grep dbus
message+ 14782 0.0 0.0 39088 1032 ? Ss 08:51 0:00 dbus-daemon --system --fork
martin 14874 0.0 0.0 12376 1060 pts/3 S+ 08:52 0:00 grep --color=auto --exclude-dir=.bzr --exclude-dir=CVS --exclude-dir=.git --exclude-dir=.hg --exclude-dir=.svn dbus

But unfortunatelly I'm receiving the same errors when running plesk repair and plesk installer (ERROR while trying to restart MySQL and Cannot restart web server).

What I simply don't understand is that mysql and apache2 do start and restart just fine when running:

$ sudo service apache2 restart
* Restarting web server apache2 [ OK ]

$ sudo service mysql restart
* Stopping MySQL Community Server 5.6.37
* MySQL Community Server 5.6.37 is stopped
* Re-starting MySQL Community Server 5.6.37
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
.170824 10:02:40 mysqld_safe Can't log to error log and syslog at the same time. Remove all --log-error configuration options for --syslog to take effect.
* MySQL Community Server 5.6.37 is started

But they do not when when triggered from update / installer scripts :-(

Will follow your advise and contact HostEurope support first.
Thanks again and greetings to HH!
Martin

The problem has been fixed by the HostEurope support:

I had systemd on my Ubuntu 14.04 running but this is supported earliest from 16.04 on. This was causing the errors within init scripts. Now back to normal, all processes work :)

I think it had to do with my previously failed distro-upgrade which the HostEurope product doesn't support. Then, when rolling back, the systend didn't get reverted to the old init process resulting in my issues.

Hope this helps someone in the future :)

Thanks again.

Back