• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk upgrade fail

Andrei

New Pleskian
Hello

I try to upgrade Plesk from v12.0.8 to 12.5.30 on a Centos 5.11 however the upgrade fail at the preupdate stage.

===> Upgrading database

Trying to start service mysqld... mysqld (pid 13595) is running...
done
Trying to establish test connection... connected
done
Trying to find psa database... version is 012000018
Trying to backup MySQL database... done
MySQL databases are dumped to /home/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.12.0.18-12.5.30.20160207-105541.dump.gz
Trying to allow INNODB engine... Innodb is already enabled - nothing to be done
===> Cumulative APS controller database (apsc) upgrade has been started.
Upgrade or repair for 'apsc' (stage 'prep') is not required
Trying to backup MySQL database... done
MySQL databases are dumped to /home/dumps/mysql.preupgrade.apsc.12.0.18-12.5.30.20160207-105542.dump.gz
===> Cumulative upgrade of APS controller database has been completed.
===> Cumulative Plesk database upgrade (revertable stage) has been started.
Before start of upgrade for 'core' (stage 'prep') following actions are registered as failed: 20111115171314-upgrade_mysqlnd_old_passwd.
===> APreparing Plesk database upgrade (revertable stage).
ERROR 1071 (42000) at line 1: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

After the error message the psa DB is empty. Doing some research the issue is with the charset, looks like the plesk updater dumps and try to import the new DB in utf8 however this why the import fail, it should do it in latin1 as this is the default server charset.

Any suggestions what should I do to successful upgrade Plesk?

P.S. This can be a bug in Plesk updater.

Using mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.47, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1

I have see that already but does not help. Since the entire psa DB is erased once I get that ERROR 1071 I assume that the autoinstaller is doing a dump of the psa db, erase it, recrrate it as utf8 and it try to reimport but it fail with ERROR 1071. I have converted the entire psa DB with tables to latin1 and made a dump from cli, there the dump is made with utf8, so, here is the issue, when the autoinstaller try to reimport, the dump is in utf8 as the KB say. So, since the process is automatic, cannot reimport it. Also, I have tried to force the/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.5.30-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh to export in latin1, still not work. So, this is a bug the upgrade process and you should notice the dev team.

This is what I have in the manual dump of the psa db.. so that utf8 should be latin1?
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `APSApplicationItems`;
/*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client = @@character_set_client */;
/*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */;
CREATE TABLE `APSApplicationItems` (

What is the file that is doing the psa dump and reimport whyle the autoinstaller run? Also, in the above bootstarpper.sh I can see that there are some line that the bellow so I assume that the autoinstaller is recreating its own utf8 tables. So, here this should be latin1 I believe.

db_fix_change_column "sys_users" "home" "home" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci NOT NULL"
db_fix_change_column "ServiceNodeEnvironment" "value" "value" "TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_change_column "ServiceNodeConfiguration" "value" "value" "TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_add_column "mail" "description" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_add_column "clients" "description" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_add_column "domains" "adminDescription" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_add_column "domains" "resellerDescription" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_add_column "domains" "description" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci"
db_fix_change_column "ServiceNodes" "name" "description" "VARCHAR(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT ''"

Looks like this is the solution, I have replaced all CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci with CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci in /usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.5.30-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh and now the upgrade is running fine :).

Back