• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Virtualization Station on a home qnap server

Salamanca

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
ubuntu 22.0
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.56
Hi,
First of all i am a beginner in the world of linux and plesk , I have the latest version of plesk running Plesk Obsidian v18.0.56 os ubuntu 22.0 on a virtual station on my qnap nas , now here's the tricky part , i have a domain name hosted at namecheap and i can't manage to resolve the dns at all , my virtual machine is on local ip https://mylocalip:8443/ manage to aaccess plesk without issues but now i will need a public ip and here where the confusing go high lol , can i use my router wan static public IP and if yes ? do i need to forward any ports on the router ?

I have followed every step on namecheap , i did add my local wan ip in the namecheap personal dns server as well as Custom dns , they are all correct but can't resolve dns . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks.

The easiest approach is to configure a DMZ on your router, pointing to the local IP address of your Plesk installation. Be aware that this method will forward other (all) TCP/UDP ports, even those you might not be using, which can pose a security risk.

A safer alternative is to forward only TCP port 80 and TCP port 443 to the local IP of your Plesk installation, and this will enable access to your website from the WAN IP.

Note that some routers may have faulty routing, and DMZ/port forwarding might not work within the local network. You should always perform 2 separate tests and compare the results: one from your local network and one from another internet connection.

If you have an ISP with carrier-grade NAT, none of these methods will work.

You should also consider the possibility of dynamic IP changes by your ISP, which would require you to update your Namecheap personal DNS server configuration whenever your IP changes. A workaround is to get static IP's from your ISP or use some kind of DynDNS service.

The easiest approach is to configure a DMZ on your router, pointing to the local IP address of your Plesk installation. Be aware that this method will forward other (all) TCP/UDP ports, even those you might not be using, which can pose a security risk.

A safer alternative is to forward only TCP port 80 and TCP port 443 to the local IP of your Plesk installation, and this will enable access to your website from the WAN IP.

Note that some routers may have faulty routing, and DMZ/port forwarding might not work within the local network. You should always perform 2 separate tests and compare the results: one from your local network and one from another internet connection.

If you have an ISP with carrier-grade NAT, none of these methods will work.

You should also consider the possibility of dynamic IP changes by your ISP, which would require you to update your Namecheap personal DNS server configuration whenever your IP changes. A workaround is to get static IP's from your ISP or use some kind of DynDNS service.
Hi,

Thanks for your response , i am with vodafone uk and seems that the wan ip is static as it never changes even when i reboot the router , it looks the port 80 and 443 are open active as well which is good , so now i have forwarded port 80 as well as port 443 to my local ip where the Ubuntu and plesk hosted but i am trying to figure to why i still have dns issue . what about port 53 ? thanks

I see now, my bad, CustomDNS section.

Just forward TCP port 53 and UDP port 53 from your router to your Plesk server, and it should resolve.

Only forward port 80, 443 if you're trying to host a website within your Plesk server, accessable for the public.

I see now, my bad, CustomDNS section.

Just forward TCP port 53 and UDP port 53 from your router to your Plesk server, and it should resolve.

Only forward port 80, 443 if you're trying to host a website within your Plesk server, accessable for the public.
Hi cool ,

Thanks for the follow up , i am only experimenting with my home Nas for now till i am 100 percent confident to run a website from my home which i still think risky . Now i am start getting something , my local ip now changed to mywebsite , so now when i want to log to plesk it point to my website lol i can't remember why or how but all i wanted is my domain name to work with wordpress. Thanks

Hi,

Finally it's sorted out . Thanks , pff took me two days to figure this **** out , but hey thank you for your addition and effort . After all of this its time to delete plesk and the serve , i have recorded every step for the nearest future . Awaiting more hard drives and nvme , same time i need to deep dive into how to secure your nas and all the bullshit . I need to make sure to protect my 1 dollar from the hackers loooool . Thank you

Back