• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Plesk with Centralized Database

AYamshanov

Silver Pleskian
Staff member
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.50
Hi everyone,

Probably, you have noticed this improvement in Change Log for Plesk Obsidian (Linux):
- Added the ability to run Plesk with a centralized database. The feature is currently in Beta.

We also have prepared a blog post on how to deploy and configure remote database and Plesk to start using the feature,

I am interested to collect feedback on what do you think about possibility to use a remote database for a fleet of Plesk servers. Is it valuable feature for you or not, would you like to start using it in your production environment or not? Why?
If you want to use the centralized database feature and something stops you, what blocks you from start using?
I would appreciate any feedback.

I'll need to take a read through this and set up a test environment for personal testing (not something that I would use personally since I'm just hosting for myself and some friends). I think this would be really useful for those who are running actually hosting service and needed to be able to run multiple instance of plesk while centralizing everything else.

When I get the chance to test I'll report back.

Hi everyone,

Probably, you have noticed this improvement in Change Log for Plesk Obsidian (Linux):

We also have prepared a blog post on how to deploy and configure remote database and Plesk to start using the feature,

I am interested to collect feedback on what do you think about possibility to use a remote database for a fleet of Plesk servers. Is it valuable feature for you or not, would you like to start using it in your production environment or not? Why?
If you want to use the centralized database feature and something stops you, what blocks you from start using?
I would appreciate any feedback.
@AYamshanov

As stated before, it is an absolute must that Plesk supports secure MySQL connections.

Without that support, any centralized database system or, equivalently, a HA Database cluster, would be rather meaningless and even dangerous!

In essence, I am only mentioning some of the (many) drawbacks here....... there are many more, but secure MySQL connections should get priority first.

Kind regards.....

Hi @trialotto,

Sorry, for the late reply. It is because I would like to be sure that this improvement will be delivered with the coming Plesk release.

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.52
[...]

[+] Plesk now supports secure MySQL connections. The Plesk administrator can now connect to a remote database securely via SSL/TLS and prohibit using a non-secure connection.
(c) Change Log for Plesk Obsidian, additional details is available in Plesk Documentation, Securing Connections to Remote MySQL Database Servers

Hi @trialotto,

Sorry, for the late reply. It is because I would like to be sure that this improvement will be delivered with the coming Plesk release.

(c) Change Log for Plesk Obsidian, additional details is available in Plesk Documentation, Securing Connections to Remote MySQL Database Servers

@AYamshanov

I have seen the post, but did not have the time to have a good look and/or some time to do some (simple) tests.

Nevertheless, it seems like a very welcome addition!

By the way, I was wondering how certificate (for secure MySQL) renewals are dealt with - after all, one would not like to see a completely disfunctional Plesk instance as result of an expired SSL certificate.

Can we expect some (simple) script that (re-)generates SSL certificates or is something similar already in place?

Kind regards....

Back