• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

pleskrestore and tar files

SacAutos

Regular Pleskian
Today I made a huge error. I wanted to delete a subscription for a customer and instead clicked on the remove button from the top of the screen. That wiped out the entire customer. (This really needs to be fixed as this isn't the first time I've done this. A double-confirmation step or a change in the button look would really be nice to eliminate confusion.)

Anyway, I was lucky in that a backup had just completed hours before. However, it was out to an external FTP site. So I brought the tar file back to the server and unpacked it. But I'm stuck from there. Whatever I do, I can't get the domains/subscriptions restored form the backups. This is making me nuts!! Anybody else have experience with this?

Last edited:
Here's where I'm at so far. (This is all CentOS 6, by the way.) I unpacked the tar file in /var/lib/psa/dumps/

I see that I've got a domains folder and eight directories beneath it - one for each of my domains.

I cd into domains/xxx.com . I execute this command:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore weekly_xxx.com_info_1403060141.xml -level domains

But nothing happens! No domain restored. What am I doing wrong??

migration.log file

The restore creates a file called migration.log . Here's what it looks like:

[2014-03-06 12:25:39.867|22929] INFO: backup_sign started : /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backup_sign verify /usr/local/psa/PMM/rsessions/2014030612253996/dump/info.xml
[2014-03-06 12:25:39.870|22929] INFO: backup_sign finished. Exit code: 0

The backup file is valid. I used the pleskrestore tool to confirm that. Help!!

Fortunately, I figured this one out on my own. What has to be done is this:

Gather the tar file parts together into a single container file
Move the tar file to /var/lib/psa/dumps/
Uncompress using tar xvf <archive>.tar
Restore using /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskrestore --restore <container>.xml
-level might be needed for a specific domain

I'm so relieved to get this back online. The documentation is rather thin on backup/restore, particularly with regard to tar files...

Back