• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue [PMT-3186] Plesk migrator slow for large mailboxes, generating duplicates

burnley

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

Having been using the migrator lately quite a bit I can confirm it's a great tool with great potential, however it probably requires further adjustments to make it more suitable for automatic migration of large (50GB+) mailboxes & domains. My main gripes are:
1. Still slow for domains with tens of GBs of emails. For this, I've managed to improve the speed by ~30-40pc by skipping "chown popuser:popuser -R $path", "self._recalculate_maildirsize" and "self._update_panel_usage_stats". On the assumption that, of course, popuser numeric uid & gid are similar on both source and destination servers.
2. Due to the way it runs rsync, it generates duplicates, which of course is rather annoying :) I think the migrator should use, for email migration, the "--delete" switch which removes files from the destination that are missing from source.
In summary, based on my recent testing, I believe that running rsync with "--delete --numeric-ids" for email migration and skipping the time consuming operation will definitely improve both speed and consistency. Thus, an improved approach would look like this:
1. If possible, defer email delivery and block pop/imap access
2. rsync -az --delete --numeric-ids /src/ /dst/
3. If migration from courier-imap to dovecot, run the migration script, see http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier
Plesk is afaik calculating the various usage stats, mailboxes included, nightly, so there's little benefit of adding this additional overhead to the mail migration.
Wonder what other people thoughts are here.

In hindsight and after running more tests, I think the lack of "--delete" rsync switch for mail migration is a bug. Running copy-mail with "--delete" gives the desired result.

Hello,
Thank you for the provided feedback and suggestions. We have created task PMT-3186 for investigation of your suggestion. Your improvements would be used in Plesk Migrator in case if our investigations will show some significant rise of performance.

Thanks Mr.D, ideally we'll see these changes implemented as configurable options that can only be applied to copy-mail functionality since we're preserving the same numeric uid/gig for popuser user across all our Linux Plesk servers.
Any other speed improvement you may have discovered along the process is more than welcome :)

Back