• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Point www (only) to another subscription on same server

Kelly

New Pleskian
PRODUCT, VERSION, VERSION OF MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk 11.0.9, Windows Server 2012

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
I have an application that uses customer prefixes ex. user1.domain.com, user2.domain.com. The application exists in one plesk subscription (with exclusive IP), the sales site (www) exists on another subscription on the same server (different IP - shared). On a previous version of plesk (9.5 I believe) I was able to easily point the www prefix to another subscription/domain on the same server. In Plesk 11 it won't let me do that ... when I try to create a "www" alias for the intended subscription I get the error message "Error: Wrong prefix for domain alias".

EXPECTED RESULT
Some option to allow me to point the www prefix to another subscription on same server.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------------------
For the application's subscription, the DNS is hosted within plesk, for the intended www subscription the DNS is hosted at godaddy. I don't think any of that makes a difference but mentioned anyways.

As far as I know www prefix should work by default and it is not necessary to add it additionally.

Thanks Igor ... I understand the www prefix is created by default, but it doesn't really address my dilemma. Plesk see's that the domain is already active on the server and so won't let me create the www alias on another domain. I can create any other domain prefix as an alias .. just not a www one .. do you know if that can be overidden in IIS, or redirected another way. Seems plesk will never let you create a www as an alias. Strikes me as a bit odd .. because I don't think this is that unique of a situation .. application on one plesk domain .. www on another.

I think I have resolved this but wish it were doable from within plesk. Basically, I point www (only) on the main domain to a different IP on the same server, then I edited the bindings on the destination domain to include the www.domain.com version .. this seems to have worked barring any unforeseen issue. Essentially, I believe I have simply created a www alias in IIS where plesk would not let me do so. Note that this binding does not show up in plesk (that I can see). If there's some major downside to doing this I may be unaware of please let me know.

Back