• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Poll: FastCGI or mod_php?

Is FastCGI good for default?

• FastCGI is good for default

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • FastCGI seems good, but looking for mod_ruid2 later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FastCGI cannot be default, please add mod_ruid2 asap

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • FastCGI cannot be default, please keep mod_php

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sergey L

CTO Plesk
Staff member
Hi,

It seems there is a quite common problem with permissions of mod_php scripts. So many people report one of those:
1) their PHP script cannot read files uploaded by FTP user
2) FTP user can take files saved by PHP script
3) PHP script cannot save files in certain directory

They all come from the fact that mod_php is running under apache and FTP user would be a different entity. The issue is normally solved through less-secure permissions or some complicated permission trick. Alternatively people may be recommended FastCGI which is free of this problem by design.

While professional admin, can tune their offering in Service Plans, most VPS users wouldn't know how to solve it. This makes us looking into making FastCGI a default (while mod_php would still be an option).

So what would be your concerns against FastCGI as a default?

wordpress and fastcgi

with 1and1 hosting I had to set my default to cgi. same problem with rights and mod_php but could not get wordpress to run at all when php set to fastCGI.

using 1and1 dynamic cloud hosting solution. I would like to use fastCGI as it should provide better performance and be more secure.

mod_ruid2 is really where we need to go here, asap. I was very surprised not to see it in Plesk 11.

As far as I'm aware, mod_ruid2 has a lower memory footprint than FastCGI and no disadvantages that I know of.

But as a default, yes, FastCGI rather than mod_php makes sense. Certainly it is the default for all domains we add these days, especially as customers are prone to never updating the scripts they install.

With the available options, I would choose FastCGI as the default. We set this for all the service plans ..

Back