• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Possible To Access Domain Via Port Number?

S

Superman859

Is it possible to access a domain via a port number? Such as IPADDRESS:#

I'm just trying to find a good method for putting files up on the live server and being able to view the files on the live server BEFORE pointing the domain name to the new server. If it needs work, I want to fix and debug the issues on the live server first. I just cannot figure out a way to do this, but it would be a huge help in two projects where I am transferring certain domains to a new server.

In the past, I've had to create a new domain with another domain name (separate, unrelated) and set it up with that domain name, and access it via that domain name. After it's all tested, I then have to shut down that domain in plesk, create a new one, and set it up all over again. I'd like to just change a few configurations and point the domain name to the finished product without having to go through the setup process all over again. I haven't found a way to set it up on the REAL domain name in plesk but access it without changing the REAL domain name (with domain host) to point to the new server.

Is it possible?

Note: The IP address is shared between a few domains.

You can modify the default port in the virtual host but Plesk will overwrite it the next time Apache has been restarted.

I'm still a little confused. Is each domain given a default port?

I know I can access the main website for the server by using the IP address without a port number - I do not remember exactly but I assume we picked a domain to be the main domain for the server when we set up plesk the first time and then defaults to port 80. I'm not sure though.

I'm just looking for some way to access the domain on the server via a browser without actually having to redirect the domain name first - I would use another domain name, but based on what I can tell with DNS configurations the domain name must match the domain name set up in plesk.

Each domain *is* given the default port as well port 443 (when SSL). You can see it in httpd.include for each of the domains.

So, if you're looking to preview the domain, then you should be use the "Site Preview" that's provided in Plesk. If you go to the control panel for the domain, you'll see it. Its usually something like https://server:8443/sitepreview/http/domain.com/

A more 'realistic' way to preview a domain is to modify the hosts file on the machine you're want to use for previewing to use the IP address of the preview server for the domain you want to preview, since the hosts file overrides DNS lookups.

A more 'realistic' way to preview a domain is to modify the hosts file on the machine you're want to use for previewing to use the IP address of the preview server for the domain you want to preview, since the hosts file overrides DNS lookups.

Why would you do that when the site preview provides such functionality?

Some things don't work correctly with site preview, like following links and custom server alias configurations for instance.

Back