• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Postfix + aliases @localhost.localdomain

kanada

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

could somebody tell me why PSK add default aliases like abuse/postmaster/hostmaster/root to the domains, that aren't local?
For example:
I add domain (test.com) to server where i need only DNS service (mail/web services are disabled). Next i add mail record (MX) for this domain to the other server. When i try send mail from PSK to [email protected] Postfix deliver it locally! and that account doesent exists.

I think when the mail service is disabled for specified domain, PSK should remove default aliases from postfix.db.

Regards,
Alex

I use postfix, but in my opinion only postfix use hash files in /var/spool/postfix/plesk like virtual.db (generated by postmap).
Also problem may be only in postfix. I think that is a critical issue.

Regards,
Alex

The problem already exists since over 1 year...

I already paid for a support-ticket regarding this problem in December 2008 / January 2009 but nothing happened...

It was really "funny" to discuss with the support - but they didn't understand or they didn't want to understand the problem...

Could you please provide me ticket ID? I will check it. And why you did not continue this ticket if problem was not resolved?

I have the sam problem. There is no way to forward all mails from domain to another mailserver.
Neither with a MX record in the dns server nor with an entrie in postfix's transport.db table.

The forwarding of a whole domain should be provided in the next plesk release.

Hello,

I have exact same problem. I will describe problem as simply as possible.

MTA: Postfix
Plesk 9.3

test.com domain happily existed on a Plesk 8.x server for the website and email was delivered to remote MX servers. In the Plesk control panel for test.com mail was DISABLED.

Disabling mail in Plesk 8.x use to tell the system to CHECK THE MX RECORDS AND DELIVER TO THE MX SERVERS.

A couple of problems with Plesk 9.3 running with Postfix:

1/ As previous poster mentioned there is some default RUBBISH added to the domains mailer tables even though the domain is DISABLED for mail. These appear to be:

/var/spool/postfix/plesk/alias.db:
_plesk_bounce_test.com
/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db:
@test.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

WHY are these records added to either of the tables when MAIL is DISABLED for the DOMAIN?

2/ You will ask... "Why will this cause a problem"

People have things called WEB FORMS on their sites. These are used for things like "contact us" pages.

These forms live on the WEBSERVER and try to send email FROM the WEBSERVER. The system should say "I am trying to email a domain which IS NOT LOCAL as MAIL IS DISABLED LOCALLY, I should lookup the MX record".

This is not happening and the system is looking locally to deliver. WHY? This is even worse when it is an ecommerce site sending order emails to the clients off-site email. They don't arrive!

What is the KB article for the fix of this?

3/ A customer PAID for a PLESK engineer to FIX the problem that exists in the design of their software but nothing has happened. This is a sad, but true, story that appears way too often. Why wasn't this problem addressed?

Does this only affect Postifx or qmail too?

Thanks,
jacko

I have forwarded your questions to developers. Will update thread with their answer.

Thanks. It is a real problem. Considering recreating the virtual.db file without the entries of the disabled domain, however, chances are plesk will just put them straight back in?

And what devepolers changed after 1,5 years? Nothing!

How can we live with this bug?

I've just received 1000+ SPAM letters from 200+ domain hosted on my server... It's not pretty good.

My solution for now is to delete from aliases.db forwarding to my email. But root@ and other mailnames for all domains still in virtual.db...

Last edited:
Unfortunately the issue can't be delivered with micro-update for 9.x version. We can only recommend upgrading to Plesk 10.3.

php:mail() -> myDomain.com (having MX) -> disappears in plesk_virtual

Hi there,

I have Plesk Panel 11.0.9 Update #38

My problem could be related to the original post. (?)

As my posts title tries to tell:

I have a server for several domains
It also provides SMTP (mostly forwarders)
everything works perfectly (almost)

The Server hosts the webpages for myDomain.com (and others)
for (and only for) myDomain.com I have set MX-record to point to google-apps
again, everything seems working perfectly

BUT
if: I send a mail from local to myDomain.com
then: postfix seems to find an entry that tells him "relay=plesk_virtual"

I would like to tell myServer:
if: sending local mails to *@myDomain.com
then: use MX-record

---------------------
some logs:

# echo "text" | mail -s test [email protected]

# tail /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

21:36:03 b postfix/pickup[1582]: CB3D359847E4: uid=0 from=<root>
21:36:03 b postfix/cleanup[1835]: CB3D359847E4: message-id=<[email protected]>
21:36:03 b postfix/qmgr[1581]: CB3D359847E4: from=<[email protected]>, size=350, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
21:36:03 b postfix-local[1838]: postfix-local: [email protected], [email protected], dirname=/var/qmail/mailnames
21:36:03 b postfix-local[1838]: cannot chdir to mailname dir mail: No such file or directory
21:36:03 b postfix-local[1838]: Unknown user: [email protected]
21:36:03 b postfix/pipe[1837]: CB3D359847E4: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=0.07, delays=0.04/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)
21:36:03 b postfix/qmgr[1581]: CB3D359847E4: removed

Back