• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Postfix and Plesk 12, "Send from domain IP", SMTP test from mxtoolbox.com

King555

Regular Pleskian
I use Plesk 12 under Debian 7 x64 and Postfix as my mail server. I set the "Send from domain IP" option. According to the mail headers, this option works. But the SMTP test on the site "mxtoolbox.com" says "SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch" / "Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner".

My question is: Can I ignore this error message in my case?

As I said, when my server sends mails, the correct IP seems to be used (or domain name, respectively). mxtoolbox.com only sees the domain name when sending a mail to my server (and then there is always the server's hostname as the SMTP banner).

First of all make sure that IP address of domain is pointing to the hostname of this domain:

# dig +short domain.com
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

# host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
domain.com

Also check this article - http://kb.odin.com/en/122406
It may be useful.

I use now Plesk 12.0.18 Update #29 under Debian 7.7 x64 and Postfix as my mail server, too. I set the "Send from domain IP and Domainname in Banner" option. The SMTP test on the site "mxtoolbox.com" says "SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch" / "Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner".
See for Plesk 11 : http://talk.plesk.com/threads/smtp-banner-multiple-ip-on-plesk-11-5-x.298618/ Post 11
Its the same issue :( !!!
But the config file from Plesk 12 is new... :(
A telnet mydomain.tld 25 and 587 list the Main-Server-IP and this is wrong !!!
The Plesk DB is correct !
/etc/postfix/master.cf : ( doesn´t work... )
plesk-mydomain.tld-xxx.my.domain.ip- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=xxx.my.domain.ip -o smtp_bind_address6= -o smtp_address_preference=ipv4 -o smtp_helo_name=mydomain.tld

Parallels please fix ist as soon as possible....

Last edited:
I asked the people from mxtoolbox.com and they said that I can ignore this error mesage in my case.

What you can check: Send an email to yourself via a domain which is not the main domain/IP and check the mail header afterwards. If the sending domain has been added to the header, everything is fine.

from your hosting company control panel you can set rDNS, search for "IP" settings --> reverse DNS menù.
(rDNS=reverse DNS)

If you do not fix this the banner will be always wrong.

Back