• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Postfix and "Send from domain IP" options are ignored

Mickael Salfati

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

My environment: Parallels Plesk v12.0.18_build1200140606.15 os_Debian 7.0 64bits - postfix

In documentation about Server-wide-mail settings

6.In Plesk for Linux with the Postfix mail server, you can change the IP address used for sending mail. Also, if your server sends mail from domain IP addresses, you can specify which name will be used as a host name in SMTP greetings.
Choose from the three options:
◦Send from domain IP addresses. By default, mail from each domain is sent using the domain's IP address. The host name used in SMTP greeting is defined by the configuration of the mail server.
◦Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting. If selected, Plesk changes the mail server configuration so that the SMTP greeting will contain the name of the domain from which an email message is sent.
This option helps to prevent the sender's IP address from being put into public black lists, such as the Spamhaus or OpenBL lists. This might happen if the mail server host name is used in SMTP greeting for the messages sent from domain IP addresses. Some recipient servers consider such messages as spam.

We recommend that you use this option if you host less than 100 domains. In case of a large number of domains, using this option significantly increases the load on the server.

◦Send from the specified IP address. You might want to use certain IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for all outgoing mail. Sending all mail from the specified address might be useful, for example, if the IP address of the mail server was put into public black lists, such as the Spamhaus or OpenBL lists. If you select None, outgoing mail will not be sent.

The two first options are ignored on my server. never the domain ip Address is used.

Mickael

Mickael,
Please describe this issue with more detail. Step-by-step instruction for reproducing would be very useful. Thanks.

IgorG,

There is nothing to do to reproduce. Install Debian 7 x64 and install plesk 12 (last update) with postfix.
The two first options above don't work. It's always the default server IP (eth0) used to send mails from server.

Mickaël.

IgorG,

There is nothing to do to reproduce. Install Debian 7 x64 and install plesk 12 (last update) with postfix.
The two first options above don't work. It's always the default server IP (eth0) used to send mails from server.

Mickaël.

Hi, Mickael!
I was not able to reproduce it. My plesk12 on debian7x64 with postfix works as described in release notes. So I cannot confirm it's a bug.
Please, look at PM from me.

I think that I found a clue. So one important detail about this issue:

Server is configured with 2 interfaces eth0 (IP 1.1.1.1) and eth0:0 (IP failover as alias, 2.2.2.2)
Domain use the IP address eth0:0 so 2.2.2.2

So when I'm trying to use the two first options, mails are sent from 1.1.1.1 address instead of 2.2.2.2 (domain ip address) as expected.

Mickael.

I think that I found a clue. So one important detail about this issue:

Server is configured with 2 interfaces eth0 (IP 1.1.1.1) and eth0:0 (IP failover as alias, 2.2.2.2)
Domain use the IP address eth0:0 so 2.2.2.2

So when I'm trying to use the two first options, mails are sent from 1.1.1.1 address instead of 2.2.2.2 (domain ip address) as expected.

Mickael.

same result for ip alias (eth0, eth0:0) - Plesk works as expected.

Igor.A.

Ok, just a stupid question, are you in the plesk team ? (in order to give you ssh access) because I don't see special rank on your profile, except "Kilo Poster"

Mickael.

Yes, I'll ask forum developers to mark me with "Parallels Team", thanks.
The issue was confirmed for case when messages sent via sendmail (php mail() function, for example).
I suppose it will be fixed soon.
Thanks for reporting.

For information to everyone with the same issue, reply from dev team ;)

There was no need in ssh access after i received additional info in your letter. The issue is confirmed and reported to development team (PPP-10657 for your reference). I suppose it will be fixed soon.
The problem was that I used SMTP session to send messages and it works fine. You are using php mail() function i suppose to send messages. The difference that plesk correctly handle messages sent via SMTP session, but php mail() function is using system sendmail via plesk sendmail wrapper with sysuser identification. The last case handles incorrectly by plesk and it’s obviously not expected behaviour.
Great news, we have just to wait fix.

Mickaël.

Any updates on this? I am having the same issue and because of this am getting -- Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Email is still showing as sent from the main domain.

This kb is not connected to the issue describe here.

Status from parallels team on 17/07/2014
The only thing I can say is that issue have open state and marked as critical.
As a workaround following can be used:
You can change envelope sender address in your script using PHP mail() function:
mail() has 4th and 5th parameter (optional). the 5th argument is what should be passed as option directly to sendmail.
for example: mail('[email protected]'), 'subject', 'body', 'From: [email protected]', '-f [email protected]');
if this parameter is set, then plesk will use correct IP(domain IP) to establish connection with remote server.

Is the problem described in post #1 now fixed (if yes, in which update?)? I ask, because I also use Plesk 12 and Debian 7 x64 and the site "mxtoolbox.com" says "SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch", although I set everything correctly in Plesk and in the DNS settings of my domains.

We finally solved all.

SIMPLY DISABLING the INTERNAL DNS automatically created by PLESK and enabled automatically when you create a new domain.

we applied the -f from specification but not sure it is needed.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/179014/how-to-change-envelope-from-address-using-php-mail

It tooks more than 2 days to fix this issue with dev + systemists :/

I think this DNS should not be automatically ENABLED
becouse most of people don't use a DNS on the server (have no much sense)

Any solution for this yet? I just finally upgraded to 12.x with the hopes that the SMTP greeting issues would be fixed with this setting. However, mxtoolbox.com still reports "SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch".

It depends on your domain registrar in addition to Plesk. It is fairly easy in 1and1 to set up reverse ip. I am not sure about your set up. The only thing though is you need unique ip addresses for each domain and the problem I had was the domain did not match my sending domain. I still have not figured out how to get this working for all my domains.

Hello,
I resume this thread for the problem.. When I set in: Mail Server Setting > Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting, the IP of the server is Blacklisted by CBL.. I contacted the support of CBL and confirmed the problem. CBL reply me with:

Please fix your HELO string

Any idea?

reagrds,

Last edited:
Back