• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Premium Antivirus for Servers vs imunifyAV

Phil Clayton

New Pleskian
Hello,

I am looking into malware, spam and virus solutions for Plesk.
The 2 solutions my web host supports are Premium Antivirus for Servers and imunifyAV.
I see there's quite a difference in price and obviously, Premium Antivirus For Servers does more but is it worth the price difference each month? One is £35 the other £5! both for unlmited domains

I see PAFS offers mail protection, hopefully, this is something most people have when sending emails from their computers.

Just wanted to know others thoughts, especially if you have experience using the two products.

Many thanks for your time.

These are two products for more or less completely different purposes.

- Premium Antivirus (Dr.Web) is for realtime virus and malware filtering of incoming emails
- ImmunifyAV is for scheduled malware filtering of websites, i.e. all the files and scripts stored in the webfolders on your server

For both purposed there are several alternatives, that do more or less the same, so for example instead of the Premium Antivirus your could also use the Warden Anti-spam and Virus Protection or Kaspersky Antivirus for Servers extension

For ImmunifyAV there is not really an alternative, but one could consider the Immunify360 or Sentinet Anti-malware extension as tools that play in more or less the same ballpark. (though both do offer lots of stuff not covered by ImmunifyAV, like Web-Application-Firewall functions and more)

We personally use Warden and ImmunifyAV on our server(s)

Before Warden, we used either the Premium Antivirus or a manually installed ClamAV mail filtering solution (based on https://www.lloyd-day.me/migrate-plesk-to-clamav/).
We were never really happy with the Premium Antivirus and while free of charge, the manual ClamAV solution did also not make us very happy ;)

As for ImmunifyAV, there was no alternative before, except maybe a scheduled scanning of all webhome directories via ClamAV (that is what we did). But ClamAV itself is quite poor in detecting malicious (php) scripts, so I will miss the most relevant stuff in that department.

Thank you for your advice it's appreciated and very helpful.

I enquired about Warden (from a position of ignorance but it sounded good) and contacted the host but at present they don't officially support it - although it could be installed.

I think another email is required to ask about supporting this.

Thanks ChristophRo

I spoke to host (different support this time) and they said there's no problem installing warden so have downloaded ready to configure tonight.
They said they just won't see it at their end. Frustrating sometimes to be given different answers but progress made.

Back