• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

"Private" vs "shared" IP

T

TarunT

Hello,
I have little confusion about "shared" vs "Private" IP features.

I have multiple Hostings having Plesk Control Panel provided by hosting service providers some of them. I found different cases of "shared" and "private" IP settings done by providers e.g.:

1. all IPs are set as "shared"
2. no IP is "shared" (all set as "private")
3. one (most likely, primary IP) IP is set to be "Private" and rest are "shared".

My Question here is... What is the use of setting the status of any IP as "shared" when my all websites are also working fine on the servers where all IP in Plesk are set as "Private"?

Will setting an ip as "Private" add any additional security to my hosting?

Is it required to share IPs for any hosting feature or hosting performance?

Any information/Example will be an advantage :)
Regards

Tarun

SSL protection with certificates and Anonymous FTP services are available only to dedicated hosting accounts on a exclusive or 'private' IP address. Shared hosting accounts can also have SSL protection, but visitors to such protected sites will get error messages in their browsers. A exclusive or 'private' IP address can be assigned to a single customer, while a shared IP address can be shared among several user accounts.

Will setting an ip as "Private" add any additional security to my hosting?

Is it required to share IPs for any hosting feature or hosting performance?

As IgorG already mentioned it is possible to assign a private IP address to an individual user or you share an IP address with others that also host with you. Are your questions answered or are you still confused? If you’re looking for a good dedicated webhosting offer with you own private IP then I suggest that you check out ix webhosting as they offer a good package.

Back