• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the current Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Issue Problem tuning fail2ban

SalvadorS

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello,

I found a very nice article in plesk blog to block badbots with fail2ban. I have problems with ClaudeBot who is hitting the server all the time.

The problem is that I have some problems with the article.

First I edited /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/apache-badbots.conf as requested adding the line:

badbots = ClaudeBot|ClaudeBot/1\.0

As I want to block this bot only (as a test)

and then reload:

fail2ban-client reload plesk-apache-badbots

But I have an error:

2024-05-30 17:33:30,944 fail2ban [1464544]: ERROR Failed during configuration: No section: 'plesk-apache-badbots'

If you don´t tuch anything (in another server) and reload I received the same error. So it seems is not a problem of the filter...

Also when I test the filter:

fail2ban-regex /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/logs/access_ssl_log /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/apache-badbots.conf

The result is:

Lines: 7163 lines, 0 ignored, 0 matched, 7163 missed

So no line is checked...

So I can´t block the bot in the server. Any ideas?

As I can´t update the post or delete it, this is the new version of it:

Hello,

I found a very nice article in plesk blog to block badbots with fail2ban. I have problems with ClaudeBot who is hitting the server all the time.

The problem is that I have some problems with the article.

First I edited /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/apache-badbots.conf as requested adding the line:

badbots = ClaudeBot|ClaudeBot/1\.0

As I want to block this bot only (as a test)

and then reload:

fail2ban-client reload plesk-apache-badbots

But I have an error:

2024-05-30 17:33:30,944 fail2ban [1464544]: ERROR Failed during configuration: No section: 'plesk-apache-badbots'

If you don´t tuch anything (in another server) and reload I received the same error.

So I checked again the file /etc/fail2ban/jail.local as the article say and the section in the file is called:

[plesk-apache-badbot]

And not

[plesk-apache-badbots]

(note the s)

So I added the lines under [plesk-apache-badbot] and restart:

fail2ban-client reload plesk-apache-badbot

Without an s. All ok now (it seems the article have this error), but when I test the filter:

fail2ban-regex /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/logs/access_ssl_log /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/apache-badbots.conf

The result is:

Lines: 7163 lines, 0 ignored, 0 matched, 7163 missed

So no line is checked...

So I can´t block the bot in the server. Any ideas?

Yes, you are right. It's exactly what I did and works!

If someone needs this in the future this is the filter I used to stop the bot:

[Definition]
badbotscustom = EmailCollector|WebEMailExtrac|TrackBack/1\.02|sogou music spider|(?:Mozilla/\d+\.\d+ )?Jorgee
badbots = ClaudeBot|ClaudeBot/1\.0|DataForSeoBot/1\.0|claudebot
failregex = ^(?:\[[^\]]*\] )?<ADDR> [^"]*"[^"]*" \d+ \S+ "[^"]*" "[^"]*(?:%(badbots)s|%(badbotscustom)s)[^"]*"$
ignoreregex =
datepattern = ^[^\[]*\[({DATE})
{^LN-BEG}

I will tune in in the future, but now claudebot is stopped (houndred of IPs....)

Back