• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Problem with document root for wordpress.

giuseppees

New Pleskian
Hello, everybody.
I have a little problem with a website I'm developing.
The old site, which I didn't make, was built with old technology and is in a folder called httpdocs. The site is available at this address www.websitename.it.

Now I always under the same domain, I try to create a wordpress installation, and in the creation, I add to the address this : www.websitename.it/wp
In this way wordpress is available at this link www.websitename.it/wp.

I would now like the site created with wordpress to be displayed in root at www.websitename.it.

I tried to change in settings (( Document root * )) with the name of the wordpress directory (wp).
Wordpress doesn't work in this way. Neither wp-admin.
Plesk returns the error page.

Any idea how to fix it?

Last edited:
Try this approach to solve it:
1) Make sure that the Wordpress website is listed in the Wordpress-Toolkit overview in your Plesk panel. You can "search" for Wordpress websites there if it is not yet listed.
2) Once it is listed there, use the "clone" button to create a clone into a new subdomain of your domain.
3) Remove the Wordpress installation from its original location by using the "remove" menu function of the Wordpress toolkit for that Wordpress site.
4) Delete all files from the original path, do not delete the document root directory, but only the contents.
5) If you have done it right, the status is now as follows: Your Wordpress installation was migrated into a subdomain while the original Wordpress installation in /wp is no longer present.
6) Now use the "clone" button on the newly created Wordpress clone in the subdomain to clone this one back into your main domain.

While cloning, Plesk and the Wordpress toolkit will automatically adapt paths in the installation to their new location.

7) Your status after completion is this: You have two Wordpress installations with the same website. One is now running under the main domain. The other one is your initial clone in the subdomain. The subdomain can be removed if the clone in the main domain is working correctly.

Back