• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Problem with Spam

Erick Nunes

Basic Pleskian
Hello friends. I am having a problem with too much spam received on my server.
My SpamAssassim is score 8.

What can I do to get fewer spam? Does it make sense for me to stop using SapmAssassim and buy MagicSpam?

Thank you

Some very general points on fighting spam, if they are usefull is for you to decide:

- lower the number, personally i use 5 and for client servers we set 7
- mark spam, don't delete it, if you have a false positive due to the low number, it will not be lost
- don't use the blacklist, you can't place the world on it
- use the whitelist, if a senders triggers a false possitive, whitelist it.
- use a spamfilter in your mailclient (thunderbird as a build in one)
- don't delete spam when it arrives in your mailclient, use the "spam, "junk", "what-ever-it-is-called" button to train your spamfilter
- don't use a catch-all
- don't use a out-of-office repley, its telling the spammers: yes this email exists, you can place it on your spamlist

- update spam on a regular basis. We use this script to do this

WARNING: this is a centos script. If you use ubuntu or another unix flavor you must check if the paths are correct.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# update spamassassin
sa-update -D --updatedir /usr/share/spamassassin

# delete old rules and copy new rules to rule dir
rm -f /usr/share/spamassassin/*.*
cp /usr/share/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org/*.* /usr/share/spamassassin/

# restart
service spamassassin restart

just my 2 cents

regards
Jan

Back