1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems accessing FTP

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by markross, Jul 27, 2006.

1. markross

markross Guest

I am leasing a dedicated server which comes pre-installed with Fedora Core 4 & Plesk 8. I am hosting several domains on the server. However recently I have been unable to access any of my sites via FTP. My knowledge of linux is pretty limited, but I am guessing it is something to do with the firewall setup.

I have logged in using putty and have done a port scan locally and port 21 appears to be open. However when I do a port scan remotely is says that port 21 is closed. I have the Plesk firewall module installed with port 21 set to "Allow incoming from all".

I have no idea where to begin fixing this so if anyone could give me any pointers that would be great.

Thanks

Mark

2. Linux_FC5

Linux_FC5 Guest

restart xinetd (/etc/init.d/xinetd restart)

or check /etc/proftpd.conf for:
    # Enable PAM authentication
    AuthPAM on
    AuthPAMConfig proftpd

and try to disable PAM (AuthPAM off)

also be sure that an AuthGroupFile has been assigned.

Also check if the values are like the below:

<Global>
    DefaultRoot ~ psacln
    AllowOverwrite on
    </Global>

and:

<Directory /home/httpd/vhosts>
    GroupOwner psacln
    </Directory>

3. markross

markross Guest

Thanks for the reply - I have checked all the above and it is all as it should be. It isn't a login problem, I can't even connect to the server which makes me think it might be to do with a firewall.

If I do a port scan on the local server I get the following:

If I do a port scan remotely I get this:

As you can see port 21 is showing up a open on the local scan but not on the remote one. This is also backed up by the fact that I can log in to FTP via SSH on the local server. However the Plesk Firewall module is showing port 21 as open so I am wondering what has happened to make it inaccessible when it was fine until about a week ago.

4. markross

markross Guest

I've just tested the Plesk firewall module by trying to open a random port (1234) and then port scanning that port, and the port is still showing up as closed. So unless I am missing something the Plesk firewall module isn't working either.

5. orbitrod

orbitrod Guest

I am having a similar problem as well. Since I am not that technical I don't know if it is the same problem.

I am able to login to my ftp server, but i get an error. Here are the details from FileZilla

Status: Connected with 209.12.44.252. Waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0 Server (ProFTPD) [209.12.44.252]
    Command: USER orbit
    Response: 331 Password required for orbit.
    Command: PASS ********
    Response: 230 User orbit logged in.
    Command: SYST
    Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
    Command: FEAT
    Response: 211-Features:
    Response: MDTM
    Response: REST STREAM
    Response: SIZE
    Response: 211 End
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
    Command: TYPE A
    Response: 200 Type set to A
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (209,12,44,252,128,158).
    Command: LIST
    Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

6. RuthServer

RuthServer Guest

did you test "active mode" in your ftp-browser?

7. markross

markross Guest

This problem is different to mine as I cannot even get a connection to my FTP remotely. Hence switching to active mode doesnt make any difference.

8. systron

systron Guest

I am also getting this error, though i coukld see the backup utility is succesfully uploading the psa backup.
    -------------------------
    Backup error. Can not upload backup file psa-7.6-NS8.<Servername>-2006.08.08.psa to FTP server.
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
    ---------------------

Any idea getting this error despite file is being uploded to remote ftp erver.

9. orbitrod

orbitrod Guest

I finally got the FTP server working, but I didn't do anything to get it to work. So I couldn't help you with your problem. I would recommend emailing support, they are good at troubleshooting problems.