• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problems during Ubuntu Release Updates

Tobias_S.

New Pleskian
Good afternoon,

Currently I have an Ubuntu 10.04 with Plesk 11.0.9 Update #61 running and I am testing an OS Update to Ubuntu 12.04 and then 14.04 with also an update to Plesk 12 on another server. But I have a problem with the release update from 12.04 to 14.04. First of all, a migration via migration manager to another computer is not an option.
Here is what I've done:
I installed a test machine with Ubuntu 10.04, all available updates and Plesk 12 (because I can't find a way to newly install Plesk 11).
During the relase update from 10.04 to 12.04, I was asked if I want to overwrite several files, e.g. php files or if I want to stay it unchanged (because they are modified by Plesk). I chose unchanged for all files.
The release update worked fine, no errors occured. Then I wanted to do the next step to 14.04.
During the release upgrade, I got an apache error, but the OS version nevertheless changed to 14.04.
So I tried to apt-get upgrade again to install the 3 missing patches.
Here are the errors:

Setting up apache2 (2.4.7-1ubuntu4.1) ...
Directory /etc/apache2/conf.d is not empty - leaving as is
Please note, that directory is considered obsolete and not read anymore by default
php_cgi_wrapper.conf zz010_psa_httpd.conf
apache2: Syntax error on line 204 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/fcgid.load: Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_fcgid.so into server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol: unixd_config
ERROR: Config file dir.conf not properly enabled: /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/dir.conf is a real file, not touching it
dpkg: error processing package apache2 (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apache2-mpm-prefork:
apache2-mpm-prefork depends on apache2 (= 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.1); however:
Package apache2 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package apache2-mpm-prefork (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libapache2-mod-php5:
libapache2-mod-php5 depends on apache2 (>= 2.4); however:
Package apache2 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package libapache2-mod-php5 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Errors were encountered while processing:
apache2
apache2-mpm-prefork
libapache2-mod-php5
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

also starting apache is not possible anymore:

* Starting web server apache2 *
* The apache2 configtest failed.
Output of config test was:
apache2: Syntax error on line 204 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/fcgid.load: Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_fcgid.so into server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol: unixd_config
Action 'configtest' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

Does anybody know, how to fix this?

Kind regards

hi tobias,

i have quite the same problem now, did you figure out how to fix this?

thanks a lot,
mirko

Hi Mirko1,

I recommend the usage of PHP packages from "Ondřej Surý" in Ubuntu 14.04, for example "ppa : ondrej/php5". They are stable and well supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi UFHH01,

thats exactly how i started this whole mess.
we have a ubuntu 12.04 installed but i needed a feature thas available since php 5.4 (12.04 just gets 5.3)
so i added ppa:eek:ndrej/php5 and installed it - it installed apache 2.4 as well
and since then nothing is working anymore

any suggestions?

thank you,
Mirko

Hi Mirko1,

you can always try other repos ( delete entries in the sources.list of "/etc/apt/" if you don't use additional ppa's anymore ) or the default one, to downgrade to php 5.3 and apache 2.2 again.
Apache 2.4 and PHP 5.5.19-1+deb.sury.org~trusty+1 work very well on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.

If you still want to fix your issues, like described by Tobias_S, then he could have disabled the modules which are causing issues by removing the depending symlinks from "/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/" and re-run "apt-get -f install" again to fix the pending package installations.
Another solution would be to uninstall the modules, which are causing issues first, but this might cause depending packages ( as well from Plesk ) to be uninstalled as well... so you have to re-install them afterwards.
Sometimes upgrades/updates fail, because some packages prevent the upgrade/update because of dependencies. Then you have to find a work-around to either ignore the dependency in your installation string, or use additional options for apt-get, to force the installation. Please see the man page for apt-get for more details.

hi UFHH01,

thanks again.

i tried several things meanwhile - like downgrading or or disabling mod-fcgid - nothings helps.

so the situation now is:
i have php 5.5.19-1+deb.sury.org~precise+1 and apache 2.4.10 installed
and it is possible to start apache - but php is not working
i suppose it's because of the missing fcgid - but if i try to nstall it (with or without '-f' option) i get the following

------------
apt-get install libapache2-mod-fcgid
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libapache2-mod-fcgid : Depends: apache2.2-common but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
------------

so is this the wrong package then?

i uninstalled libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa too, now trying to re-install it i get

------------
Package libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa' has no installation candidate
------------

thank you for any help

Hi Mirko1,

the package "libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa" depends on several other Plesk packages. When you use Plesk, then libapache2-mod-fcgid will be replaced with libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa - you can only have one of the two packages on your server.

Please include "deb http://autoinstall.plesk.com/ubuntu/PSA_12.0.18 precise all" in your sources.list at "/etc/apt/" for Ubuntu 12.04, if you would like apt-get to find Plesk packages.

Please be sure, that you install all Plesk packages in the first place - you can remove not needed packages later on, if all works as expected.

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-everything

@Mirko1:
We did not solve the problem. We have installed a new server with Ubuntu 14.04. After that we have used the "Migration Manager" to port everything to the new server. After 3-4 hours everything worked fine on the new server.

Back