• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Process List shows RAM 100% & Hard Disk Usage shows 4x ramfs disks

Daveo

Basic Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Process List shows RAM 100% & Hard Disk Usage shows 4x ramfs disks

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

18.0.58 #2, Debian 12.5, x86-64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Issue 1:
Clicking Process List shows RAM usage at 100% (it never changes from this), but in Tools & Settings > System Information it shows RAM usage as 56.43%

Issue 2:
In Tools & Settings > System Information shows Hard Disk Usage, no idea why it shows four ramfs disks at zero usage (but I have seen this issue occur on four different servers that I have either upgraded or freshly installed from a previous Debian OS (1 server: fresh Debian 12 install, 2 servers: Debian 11 > Debian 12 & 1 server: Debian 10 > Debian 11 > Debian 12). It appears to be an issue with Debian 12, as never saw this with Debian 10 or Debian 11.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Upgrade Debian from either 11 to 12 or from10 to 11 then 11 to 12.

ACTUAL RESULT

Issues 1 & 2: as already mentioned in Problem Description

For both issues, see this topic for screenshots of the issues

EXPECTED RESULT

RAM to be displayed as actual usage

Hard Disk Usage shouldn't be showing 4x ramfs discs (especially as I haven't created any ramfs discs)

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Thank you for your report. It has been forwarded to test engineers as PPS-15634 for further checking.

Regarding the 4x ramfs: The investigation revealed that ramfs is being created by default in Debian 12, as it was observed in Debian 12 instances without Plesk as well:
# /bin/mount | grep ramfs
ramfs on /run/credentials/systemd-sysctl.service type ramfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
ramfs on /run/credentials/systemd-sysusers.service type ramfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
ramfs on /run/credentials/systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service type ramfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
ramfs on /run/credentials/systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service type ramfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
This is an expected behavior. However, we've noted that we should hide these entries as they are not related to hard disk usage. This topic will continue to be discussed internally as PPP-64234.

Regarding difference in memory consumption: "Server Information" uses data from the /proc/meminfo file to calculate memory usage. So Plesk reads the exactly used memory excluding cached/swapped. Meanwhile, "Process List" relies on the "ps" utility output (Linux process list) and appears to sum all memory consumption of processes, which includes cached and swapped memory. This difference in calculation methods results in different values of memory usage. This topic will also be continued to be discussed internally, but the current display is basically correct. It's been frequently seen that users claim their systems use 100% RAM (Help! Linux ate my RAM!), and we'll need to find out whether the display is misleading and should be changed or whether it displays exactly what it ought to display: The percentage how much ram is used in total, including cache.

OK, thank you for the update.

The 100% RAM in Process List doesn't occur on every system I've upgraded to Debian 12 or freshly installed Debian 12 on. Kind of a hit and miss issue, but Server Information and indeed /proc/meminfo show what I expected (instead of 100% as per Process List, which can be confusing)

@Daveo We were not able to reproduce the symptom reliably on the same scenario as you describe. I suggest to open a ticket with Plesk support, referring them to PPS-15634, so that the engineer can check the situation on your server via SSH support access directly. I am certain that the support engineers will be able to find the root cause if there is anything wrong.

OK. How do I do this when I haven't purchased the Plesk licence directly from Plesk but from an authorised reseller ?

Back