• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Proftp no longer 'linked' to passwords?

• Thread starter MishterAnderson
  • Start date
M

MishterAnderson

Hi, I needed mcrypt installed on my linux server so I followed the directions on:
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=88711

Everything worked fine except I think it updated proftp (was using 1.3.2e, now it reports 1.3.3c), and now I can't log into any ftp users. (It just says "Login incorrect"). I tried changing the passwords in plesk panel under the domain control panel>Web hosting Settings, but the same thing happens. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Im using Plesk Panel 9.5.2

Just an update to this, and it actually makes things even more weird.. I found proftp was being started by xinetd, so I went into xinetd's config folder and commented out proftp's server line (it was being started by in.proftpd) and put vsftpd in there and now it's working fine. So there's nothing wrong with PAM, it's just something messed up in proftpd. I still wouldn't mind debugging it to find out what the real problem is, but at least vsftp working.

I would've tried uninstalling and reinstalling proftpd if I didn't think it would catch the server on fire (and if I knew how).

Last edited by a moderator:
You should use proftpd from Parallels:

# rpm -qi psa-proftpd | grep Vendor
Version : 1.3.3e Vendor: Parallels

Hi Igor, do you know how I can reinstall the Parallels version? I tried the update option from inside the menu but it said everything was up to date (even though there was a 9.5.4 version available)

Back