• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Promote Subdomain to Full Domain

StevenW

New Pleskian
I have a client that has a subdomain shop.xxxx.com. This subdomain needs its own SSL and own IP address for it. Right now its listed as a subdomain under xxxx.com. Also, the xxxx.com has another SSL and IP.

Since there doesnt seem to be any way to do this in plesk, I had to create the subdomain as a regular subdomain and then manually manipulate IIS to change the IP and add the ssl mapping.

If I try to add a new domain, it automatically tags it with the WWW.

Is there any way to just create a new domain without the www infront of it, so I can move shop.xxxx.com from a subdomain to a primary domain that stands alone...

or is there a better overall strategy for doing this?

I havent played around much with the new iis 7+, but in older iis, you needed a dedicated IP for each SSL certificate.

steve

I havent played around much with the new iis 7+, but in older iis, you needed a dedicated IP for each SSL certificate.
I can answer this part: You still need this in IIS 7 and 7.5, but starting with 8 (Windows Server 2012) IIS supports SNI.

But I would also be interessted in the answer to the rest.

thanks

Thanks for the info. Upgrading to 11.09 has caused a bunch of issues for me in that regards. In my old version 10, I had went straight into iis, editted the binding manually, changed the IP and assigned the SSL manually, and saved it that way. It allowed me to do everything else through plesk, such as ftp accounts, manage emails, blah blah blah...

Now on plesk 11, it seems that plesk has some type of automated script that freshes binding every so many hours (or minutes), because my dns kept getting updates, ssl bindings reverted, etc....

I ended up deleting the subdomain, and then recreating a new domain. I found that if I added, "shop.lala.com", it would add it as a new domain, make another DNS folder, and setup everything correctly. So, I guess that solved the problem for now.

However, it would be great, for a PROMOTE subdomain option that would allow me to take a website, transfer over the users, files, etc... allow me to give a subdomain its own IP address, etc...

A wild card ssl can help you with your issue. Wild card SSL will allow you to install ssl for subdomain without having separate account for it.

Back