1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Protecting /tmp in 8.1.1

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by greyman56, Jun 7, 2007.

1. greyman56

greyman56 Guest

Protecting /tmp in 8.1.1 does not seem to work properly

I have used the information in the following KB article to secure the /tmp directory:
    http://kb.swsoft.com/article_38_1410_en.html

but it caused a failure in postgresql:

I had to stop the postgresql service in order to move all the files out of /tmp. Once I made the new /tmp and tried to restart postgresql, it failed to start. Have not found the logs so not sure why. But I solved it by using this method...

Since we have been hosting plain CentOS boxes in the past, I used the protection mechanism we use there and it **seems** to work. Not sure if there are any other implications at this point. If anyone can comment on whether there is a flaw in this or not I would appreciate it....

I did:

1/ put this line into /etc/fstab...
    none /tmp tmpfs noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=100000000 1 2

2/ move all /tmp/.* and /tmp/* into another place.

3/ mount /tmp

4/ move all /tmp files back.

Note: I stopped postgresql before 2/ and started it at the end and all went well.

If this is OK, how do I size the /tmp filesystem? Is there a formula?

thanks
    Graham