• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

QMail and ReturnPath

M

Moore

Hello,

i'm currently setting up a Server with Plesk 7.5.4 on Suse 9.3. Everytime I'm adding a new domain to the server, the return-path of server-generated mails changes. It doesn't make any difference on which account I'm writing mails through PHP. It's everytime the latest added domain on return path.

For Example:

Added domain: blubb.de
ReturnPath: blubb-de@<hostname>

Added domain: blibb.de
ReturnPath: blibb-de@<hostname>

Why this happens? Is there a solution for the problem?

Greetings,
Moore

Me Too

I have had the same problem. I posted the following over at ev1servers.net.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Apparently there is a known issue by Plesk about the fact that you can have multiple IP addresses on a server but not so with email.

Here is a summary of what I mean:

"The problem is the email is sent, with a proper address for that domain in the from, and the domain of the web site which is on one ip address (e.g. x.x.x.144). The email is sent as from the base domain (x.x.x.143). This causes the email to look like spam and AOL and other providers will filter the email. This is because the receiving server looks up the domain on the From: line (x.x.x.144) and matches it to the server it was sent from as part of the received line (x.x.x.143). This problem can be fixed using the qmail patch outgoingips found at http://www.rno-consultores.com/mail/qmail/qmail-1.03_outgoingips.patch."

But then you need to manually update Qmail outside the Plesk update tool. Has this been fixed? Is it going to be fixed?

Check if you have more than a single PTR record for each IP address. By default, Plesk's DNS template adds a PTR record for every single domain you create. This causes randomly chosen domain's to appear in the email headers.

Generally you would want to remove all other domain's PTR records except for a single domain's PTR (usually your main hosting domain) per IP address.

This has existed since Plesk 5 (or possibly earlier) and I believe it is partly related to how Qmail handles things versus other smtp packages...

Originally posted by ShadowMan
Check if you have more than a single PTR record for each IP address. By default, Plesk's DNS template adds a PTR record for every single domain you create. This causes randomly chosen domain's to appear in the email headers.

Generally you would want to remove all other domain's PTR records except for a single domain's PTR (usually your main hosting domain) per IP address.

This has existed since Plesk 5 (or possibly earlier) and I believe it is partly related to how Qmail handles things versus other smtp packages...

Yes, I have more than one PTR-Record for each IP address. So I removed all PTR-Records excepts for the main domain. But nothing changes. I've still got the last added domain in the Return-Path of every server generated email.

Greetings, Moore

Back